Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: A brother for my Tele...

Post by Single coil »

The antoria down my local has a truss. Many broadcasters had their necks replaced when the 13-56 were too much.
Ima watch from a safe distance.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Adrian didn't have a truss rod in my kwila neck either. I've mentioned this before and i'm sure you already know this... but you level the frets so that they provide the natural curve in the neck that the trussrod would provide.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

AiRdAd wrote:Adrian didn't have a truss rod in my kwila neck either. I've mentioned this before and i'm sure you already know this... but you level the frets so that they provide the natural curve in the neck that the trussrod would provide.
Yeah, theres also an argument for doing them dead flat apparently, with a slight fallaway at the body end. I'm going to try this first - then if it doesn't work out I can just level a slight hollow.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:Adrian didn't have a truss rod in my kwila neck either. I've mentioned this before and i'm sure you already know this... but you level the frets so that they provide the natural curve in the neck that the trussrod would provide.
Yeah, theres also an argument for doing them dead flat apparently, with a slight fallaway at the body end. I'm going to try this first - then if it doesn't work out I can just level a slight hollow.
Yes, dead flat is the way to go. Spent a bit more time on getting the neck and the fretboard deadstraight..... then make sure that all the frets are properly seated... Et voila, no fret levelling and crowning required. I have no fret buzz on mine either and nobody at the Tron fest who played it complained about anything but the real chunky neck...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

But chunky necks are great
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Any resources or tips for doing the neck pocket route? Gonna pick up a slab of timber for a tele soon too.
Loving it so far

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

If it were me, I would drill the bolt holes first. You've at least got half a guide for the pocket.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

StratMatt wrote:Any resources or tips for doing the neck pocket route? Gonna pick up a slab of timber for a tele soon too.
there are a bunch of you tube vids. For a one-off job Id use the method where you clamp the neck in place then clamp some straight strips each side , add a layer of masking tape then remove the neck and route to the guides....that will all make sense one you watch.

heres the fancy version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepxxKsFnqY

and the cheaper version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2StUjmJaYw
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

StratMatt wrote:Any resources or tips for doing the neck pocket route? Gonna pick up a slab of timber for a tele soon too.
As above or....

It is called a template :)

If you'r in Aux you can borow mine
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Thanks for the links, I should be able to manage that.
jvpp wrote: As above or....

Thanks for the offer. I am in Aucks but I think I'm as far from where you are as possible.

Or I could just make a template from my US Tele come to think of it. That would make more sense :)
Loving it so far

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

StratMatt wrote:Thanks for the links, I should be able to manage that.
jvpp wrote: As above or....

Thanks for the offer. I am in Aucks but I think I'm as far from where you are as possible.

Or I could just make a template from my US Tele come to think of it. That would make more sense :)
I just free hand it ..... some times it shows to :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

+1 for Lawrence's method, that way it will be spot on for the neck you have if it isn't a standard heel size.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok, finally got around to doing a bit the last couple of days. Still feeling a bit shitty and weak after surgery so I'm going slowly with it :D

I'm going with the old sx maple tele neck to begin with and I'll knock out the kwila at my leisure.

So, got out my trusty/rusty non-stewmac mitre10 fret removal tool. Stanley knife down 45 deg into the edge of each fret to loosen any glue etc. Out they came like little ducklings one by one. approx 5 mins.

Straigtened the neck as much as I could on the trussrod prior to a wee spot of sanding.

A couple of passes, I'm using 320 grit, could have gone as low as 120 but I didn't have any handy and I can't drive yet.

Starting to get there after about 4 or 5 mins. Some big low spots reminding me of a slight scallop job I did when I sanded off the horrible tint a while back!

Oh yeah, nice maple, didn't do badly. About 10 mins all up, 320 then finished with 600.

Not leaving it natural as thats a pain in the arse come cleaning time. My oil of choice is the cricketers favourite, boiled linseed. This has a degree of protection in it unlike raw linseed which has no additives. A couple of good soak/smears and fanny's your aunt. Fretting tomorrow if I get a few minutes...

Sanded most of the edges on the tele, not a perfect finish mr truscott, though I didn't expect perfect for the price. Top and bottom were unmarked so I gave them 5 mins sand either side - same 320 then 600. And a good dousing in the same oil. May wax finish or may tru-oil undecided yet. Anyway I still need to route for pickups and cavity etc - this is mainly for a bit of early protection.

Natural vs the colour it should end up as.

Time for a bit of a mockup. Not sold on the idea of a pickguard - but - with one I can route for a neck humbucker and swap one in easier at a later date if so desired. I suppose I could just do that at the later date though. Hmmmm. I'll decide in the daylight, the top isn't as figured as the blackwood but its definitely organic and I love the feel of wood in my hands..... and JB is spent.

So this is with dodgy black pickguard and dodgier chinese bigsbyish trem. The quality is surprisingly not too bad, though the chrome came off after a couple of rubs with the old 320. I'll probably just go with a B50 or similar. Maybe that whole leg caliper B16. I quite like the look of this, with its custom pickguard shape :)
oh and the neck is held in by nothing, gravity is not going to shift that fit!

or this standard pickguard

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Makes fretwork look easy. Not keen on staining the body?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote:Makes fretwork look easy. Not keen on staining the body?
Because fretwork is easy :) refretting anyway.

No stain, the linseed pops the grain a bit, this is the second in a trilogy of all natural teles I have planned.

Next will be reclaimed timber, to vintage blackguard specs.

Probably time to build my 59 LP first though :)