Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MakoGat
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Learning how to do a refret/fretwork

Post by MakoGat »

I forgot, get yourself a notched straight edge, there was I guy on Trade me selling them which is where I got mine, this gizmo gets the neck itself level and has notches cut out so it sit over the frets - must have neck level first.

He also sells fret rockers, get one.

As for the sanding level, I got a length of 3" x 1" aluminium hollow section free and its damn straight, and I cut up lengths of 320 sandpaper for it.

Use dark black felt tip to mark frets to level and also when crowning so you know where the centre of the crown shape needs to remain.

MASK YOUR NECK - sides, nut, and if its on a guitar, pickups / pickguard etc, you will slip.

Like I say, watch the Youtube videos, there are a few variations and methods.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

MakoGat wrote:I forgot, get yourself a notched straight edge, there was I guy on Trade me selling them which is where I got mine, this gizmo gets the neck itself level and has notches cut out so it sit over the frets - must have neck level first.

He also sells fret rockers, get one.

As for the sanding level, I got a length of 3" x 1" aluminium hollow section free and its damn straight, and I cut up lengths of 320 sandpaper for it.

Use dark black felt tip to mark frets to level and also when crowning so you know where the centre of the crown shape needs to remain.

MASK YOUR NECK - sides, nut, and if its on a guitar, pickups / pickguard etc, you will slip.

Like I say, watch the Youtube videos, there are a few variations and methods.
Thanks for that MakoGat, I have been checking out a bunch of YT videos and am learning a lot. The fret levelling part definitely looks like something I can do. Refret seems harder but eventually I hope I will be able to do one. I also realised that making a new nut isn't as simple as I thought and it seems to require the right files to get the slots into a nice shape.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Zaulkin wrote: I also realised that making a new nut isn't as simple as I thought and it seems to require the right files to get the slots into a nice shape.
Although files are handy, you don't need them for cutting slots in a bone nut.... there are cheaper ways to go than StewMac....
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

jvpp wrote:
Zaulkin wrote: I also realised that making a new nut isn't as simple as I thought and it seems to require the right files to get the slots into a nice shape.
Although files are handy, you don't need them for cutting slots in a bone nut.... there are cheaper ways to go than StewMac....
What's your method? I saw that online that you can notch feeler gauges but apparently the cut isn't very clean.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/cheap-er-nut-files.210187/

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

This nut I cut from Sack & Pave cow bone. The slots were cut with ordinary kitchen utensils for the small slots. The wider slots I use a fine toothed hacksaw and then sandpaper. May not be the fastest but the nut is perfect.

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.