Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Learning how to do a refret/fretwork

Post by Zaulkin »

Hi guys,

I've been considering teaching myself how to do a refret, or at the least how to level existing frets. I can do most setup type things and I kind of want to get to the next level so I can make all my guitars play amazingly.

Anyone successfully learnt how to refret a guitar? Is it worth it or should I just stick to leveling + a new nut?

Any general advice/where to get tools etc? :)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Learning how to do a refret/fretwork

Post by AiRdAd »

Ask grantb for a couple of his old ones to practice on !
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

As Danny said, GrantB would be the guy to ask. He seems to have it sussed. Would love to be able to do it. Every guitar I own would have f'kin' big Dunlop 6000s. :-)

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Molly wrote:As Danny said, GrantB would be the guy to ask. He seems to have it sussed. Would love to be able to do it. Every guitar I own would have f'kin' big Dunlop 6000s. :-)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp12 ... G_0583.jpg
I'm a fan of big frets too. I often find guitars and think that I'd love them if only they had bigger frets.

And obviously if I go for the full refret I'll need a beater to fix up. Maybe not one of grants ones though...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Zaulkin wrote:
Molly wrote:As Danny said, GrantB would be the guy to ask. He seems to have it sussed. Would love to be able to do it. Every guitar I own would have f'kin' big Dunlop 6000s. :-)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp12 ... G_0583.jpg
I'm a fan of big frets too. I often find guitars and think that I'd love them if only they had bigger frets.

And obviously if I go for the full refret I'll need a beater to fix up. Maybe not one of grants ones though...
Yep. I love vintage-spec guitars in most every aspect but hate skinny or low frets. The bit that scares me the most is actually sorting the nut. I think that'd be the hardest bit to get spot on.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

I'd suggest you get your fret level/dress/crown chops up to scratch first before you start refretting, one step at a time and whatnot.

Tools are tricky, Stewmac and LMI are expensive (understatement) however their tools do work well, I believe you get what you pay for.

Rosewood is the easiest and most forgiving material when it comes to refretting, stay away from lacquered maple fingerboards until you have some miles under your belt!

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

robnobcorncob wrote:I'd suggest you get your fret level/dress/crown chops up to scratch first before you start refretting, one step at a time and whatnot.

Tools are tricky, Stewmac and LMI are expensive (understatement) however their tools do work well, I believe you get what you pay for.

Rosewood is the easiest and most forgiving material when it comes to refretting, stay away from lacquered maple fingerboards until you have some miles under your belt!
Damn, the one I want done eventually is lacquered maple. :mental: Ah well, maybe I'll find a do upper.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Zaulkin wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:I'd suggest you get your fret level/dress/crown chops up to scratch first before you start refretting, one step at a time and whatnot.

Damn, the one I want done eventually is lacquered maple. :mental: Ah well, maybe I'll find a do upper.
just do what I do, if the fret wire is to small just scallop the neck...works every time :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

get yourself a practice neck and do that a few times. I've had a couple of practice necks that have become favourite necks because when I refretted and set them up properly I thought they were the dogs bollocks - so I now only have a shit old neck that you're welcome too.

Tools don't have to be expensive, people were doing refrets long before stewmac.

For fret levelling you need a decent flat edge, I use a big hunk of kwilla that had a lovely flat edge. I stick sandpaper to that with spray adhesive. Results are perfect.

For fret rounding and edge rounding etc You can do it with a triangular file with the corners sanded off. I use this for all fret dressing. I want one of those fancy stewmac diamond jobs, but I don't do enough really to justify it.

If you don't have a grinder or belt sander to make some of this stuff, I'm happy to grind edges off your tools (oh-er). I could probably show you the basics for a box of beers in fact :D

I won't do others refrets as I'm too impatient and I don't spend time masking fretboards - these are my guitars and the odd scratch I don't care about.

For removing frets - stanley knife to cut any possible lacquer on the edges etc, soldering iron to heat the buggers up (some people glue them in - I've recently taken to adding a couple of drops of superglue :( ) and some edge type pincers from mitre 10 ground down do the job.

pre radiused fret wire means you don't have to bend to suit usually. A plastic faced mallet to beat the buggers in with.

There is other stuff you may need but it can pretty much all be made. I wish there was a decent local source of fretwire!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote:get yourself a practice neck and do that a few times. I've had a couple of practice necks that have become favourite necks because when I refretted and set them up properly I thought they were the dogs bollocks - so I now only have a shit old neck that you're welcome too.

Tools don't have to be expensive, people were doing refrets long before stewmac.

For fret levelling you need a decent flat edge, I use a big hunk of Kwila that had a lovely flat edge. I stick sandpaper to that with spray adhesive. Results are perfect.

For fret rounding and edge rounding etc You can do it with a triangular file with the corners sanded off. I use this for all fret dressing. I want one of those fancy stewmac diamond jobs, but I don't do enough really to justify it.

If you don't have a grinder or belt sander to make some of this stuff, I'm happy to grind edges off your tools (oh-er). I could probably show you the basics for a box of beers in fact :D

I won't do others refrets as I'm too impatient and I don't spend time masking fretboards - these are my guitars and the odd scratch I don't care about.

For removing frets - stanley knife to cut any possible lacquer on the edges etc, soldering iron to heat the buggers up (some people glue them in - I've recently taken to adding a couple of drops of superglue :( ) and some edge type pincers from mitre 10 ground down do the job.

pre radiused fret wire means you don't have to bend to suit usually. A plastic faced mallet to beat the buggers in with.

There is other stuff you may need but it can pretty much all be made. I wish there was a decent local source of fretwire!
Bloody awesome, thanks BG. I will definitely hit you up on that in a couple of weeks and sort you a box. I might even have a suitable practice gat for levelling.

Going to have a look around at the previous threads as I think there was a cheap leveling tool from trade me. Might do an order from stew Mac for anything I can't get here. I think I'll need a specific crowning file? Then I'll also need suitable slotting files for making the nut.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

ha, you're already going big budget ;) stewmac do the Z files with interchangeable bits that are cool. Give me a shout if you put an order in and we can share shipping costs.

Anyone else want to do a group buy?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Wondered about that. Do they remove the lacquer before refretting? Be hard to get the tint right I'd imagine.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Why do you like big frets? What do they 'provide' what small ones don't?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote:ha, you're already going big budget ;) stewmac do the Z files with interchangeable bits that are cool. Give me a shout if you put an order in and we can share shipping costs.

Anyone else want to do a group buy?
Was walking around in Henderson today, Trade Place to be precise, and realised we do have Stewmac in NZ....

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jvpp wrote:

Why do you like big frets? What do they 'provide' what small ones don't?
If they're a D profile you can glide over them, and the height means you don't need high action to tuck under for bending.