Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Maybe its partscaster time?

Post by Slowy »

sidewinder wrote:Thanks guys! So much experience here steering me in the other direction, which is good!

I had no idea the end result could be so, variable.

The Classic Vibe and Pro Tone (discontinued) Squiers are the well regarded ones.

There was a Pro Tone on TM for $700 recently, don't think it sold, that's creeping into used MiM territory
Classic Vibe is the one I'm thinking of.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
They're probably outside your budget but the Mexi Roadworns are great.
This. One on here just a year or so ago and the guy was struggling to shift it at about $700.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Even an Indonesian Ibanez is Miles ahead of the mim stuff, join the future ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

jeremyb wrote:Even an Indonesian Ibanez is Miles ahead of the mim stuff, join the future ;)
But they don't sound like strats :p

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Have you thought about stripping the paint of the Squier? I had a 50th ann one and it was a bit meh but it took on a new life once I took it back to bare wood....then I took a blow torch to it (but thats another story)

Do you like the neck on the squire? ... If NO then bin it if YES then use it and get a body of Ash (assuming he still has a stock pile).

When I make guitars or put together a partscaster cost to build and "potential resale" never enter my mind. Having something that you created is all the mojo you need
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Nope, it's not time.
But then again it might be
But it's not

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've had heaps of experience with doing partscasters. I would of done 10 or more of them.

Bang for buck they can be good value for money... but on the flip side of the coin - you can also end up spending a lot of money and not have a good guitar.

If you're not in hurry, and are happy to let the project take six or so months, you can just take your time and buy the parts when they pop up cheap on trademe. That's the best way to do it.

Partscasters get expensive if you are in a hurry to buy the parts, or if you want a very specific spec'ed strat/tele - whereby you have to pay top dollar to buy what you need - because you need it quickly and or it's hard to find the specs you want. I wouldn't recommend doing this if it was your only guitar.

My advice would be look for a good solid mexi or jap strat, and use that as your base for building the guitar. A mexi strat in an unpopular colour can be got for $500 if you're lucky. Once you have that - hunt around for things to replace on it (if you think that's necessary.) The first thing I'd do is maybe do the pickups and pots, you'll get a big step up in sound by doing that. If a really nice body or neck comes up, you could try them. There was a nice fender blonde mexi tele body that sold for $80 last week - so they can be found cheaply.

The key is to keep the parts that you're taking off. Once you get down the track you might find that you've replaced most of the original guitar, and can buy a couple of extra bits to finish off the partscaster, re-assemble the original donor guitar, and sell it.

You have to outlay more money to do it, but it's the most cost effective way to do it.

A good place to start could be a jap squier - they usually have really nice necks, but sometimes the body and hardwear can be lacking. You can pick one up for a couple of hundred bucks if you're prepared to look for them.

I recently had the pleasure of playing GrantB's partscaster jazzmaster. It was fantastic in every way. Sure it cost more than a mexi or jap fender (and prob some USA ones) - but it is just a fantastic guitar - and worth every penny he spent on it - and more. That's a good example of a success story with a partscaster - BUT HE REALLY KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING.

On the flipside I picked up a superstrat that cost the owner well over 2k to put together. I picked it up for 6 or 7 hundred bucks, after it had been passed in on trademe for a few weeks.

Feel free to flick me a pm if you have any questions about it.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

I'll echo the advice of others that you should just buy a MIM or Japanese strat (I prefer Japanese because they are just made better, in my experience). Partscasters can be really amazing if you go for premium quality parts. This just makes it rather expensive when all is said and done. Partscasters on the cheap aren't a very good idea because they do not tend to produce guitars that are any better than a MIM or Japanese, even though you'll end up spending the same (or more) just to put it together. They also have terrible resale value, should you change your mind later.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Mexi I strat just listed on trademe with a buynow of 500 dollars. Cnt post a link because I'm on my phone.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Zaulkin wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Even an Indonesian Ibanez is Miles ahead of the mim stuff, join the future ;)
But they don't sound like strats :p
Put the same pickups in and they'll sound better :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

AiRdAd wrote:Mexi I strat just listed on trademe with a buynow of 500 dollars. Cnt post a link because I'm on my phone.
here it is...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 868178.htm

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Nope, it's not time.
But then again it might be
But it's not
:shock:
Deep Man, really, really Deep.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

If you're going MIM, try and play it first...some are dead and lifeless, IME.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

GrantB wrote:If you're going MIM, try and play it first...some are dead and lifeless, IME.
I see this mentioned every now and then... something being "dead and lifeless". What does this mean exactly? To me it's the resonance of the guitar acoustically/unplugged that makes it feel "alive". The body and neck resonates with the strings. More often than not I have fixed or improved this with a good setup. I haven't had a huge number of guitars so my experience is limited to the less-than-a-dozen that have crossed my workbench.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

GrantB wrote:If you're going MIM, try and play it first...some are dead and lifeless, IME.
That's not just a MIM issue, if the dead and lifeless American Strat my workmate brought in week before last is anything to go by. It was awful.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.