Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Building an archtop of some sorts

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:Yes, i have used both quite a bit on certain sections of the top... the scraper quickly removes the chisel dimples/uneveness and leaves a surface rady for sanding. Great tool!

The problem I have with the plane, even on the smallest blade protrusion, is that it cannot handle the sections on the top where the grain 'doesn't behave'. Great for sections where the grain is cooperating so to speak. Maybe it is because of the macrocarpa (it being a softwood) that makes using the thumb planer difficult. On this top I had much better control with a rasor sharp chisel which allowed my to take tiny cuts out in the grain induced difficult areas.

So to avoid having to carve for the next month or so, I decided to make the concave/convex transition narrow.

As the inside carving won't be that critical from a visual point of view, I intend to practice and use the planer a bit more as it is indeed a neat little tool.

Anyone any feedback on the neck question I asked?
Thats looking really good! I much prefer a scraper, comes from my furniture building days ;) Glad you liked the flap wheel approach. I've done some rad carving with one. I still have a parker body in korina on the workbench, most of that done with the flapwheel
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

H671 wrote:This might be a bit late, but you can buy a special carving disc to fit angle grinders. I can't remember where they are sold though.
yep you're late, thoroughly 'discussted' :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:Cool stuff.

The neck pocket - how deep will it be? Or is that finished depth?
Although it will be an archtop, I intend to glue the neck in like an LP. So the planed section you see with the pencil mark will have a U shaped bit cut out. A bit like the two pics below; The top is 20mm, the bottom is 10mm and the body will be 30mm deep, so the tenon will be about 40-43mm high (it slopes) and the length yet to be determined.

FYI, the current length from neck pocket to end of neck bit is 113mm, if I cut it at the pencil line, 65mm will be remaining.

So the question is, if I cut off the neck bit at the pencil mark will I have enough 'structure' left for a solid LP type fitting.

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

What's up with the 100% convex arch? Didn't want to transition from concave ? Won't itlook like someone has pumped up a gretsch with a bike pump?! Or is this a recognized thing? Educate me !!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jvpp wrote:
So the question is, if I cut off the neck bit at the pencil mark will I have enough 'structure' left for a solid LP type fitting.
its called strong glue :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:
GrantB wrote:Cool stuff.

The neck pocket - how deep will it be? Or is that finished depth?
Although it will be an archtop, I intend to glue the neck in like an LP. So the planed section you see with the pencil mark will have a U shaped bit cut out. A bit like the two pics below; The top is 20mm, the bottom is 10mm and the body will be 30mm deep, so the tenon will be about 40-43mm high (it slopes) and the length yet to be determined.

FYI, the current length from neck pocket to end of neck bit is 113mm, if I cut it at the pencil line, 65mm will be remaining.

Don't see why not, they do the shorter neck tenons too. haven't heard any of them snapping off?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I agree - as long as the pocket is deep enough and the length doesn't go any shorter than what is drawn, it should be OK. In saying that, if it goes horribly wrong, Bg and I can delete any text here that has us saying anything at all....and in fact, make it look like we warned you against such a thing. :wave:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:What's up with the 100% convex arch? Didn't want to transition from concave ? Won't itlook like someone has pumped up a gretsch with a bike pump?! Or is this a recognized thing? Educate me !!
You never heard of a balloon shaped carved archtop? Really? It much better supports internal soundwaves bouncing off the top and exiting in an amplified fashion through the F holes. It is a well known fact :D

Look it up mate!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:I agree - as long as the pocket is deep enough and the length doesn't go any shorter than what is drawn, it should be OK. In saying that, if it goes horribly wrong, Bg and I can delete any text here that has us saying anything at all....and in fact, make it look like we warned you against such a thing. :wave:
I have taken a snapshot and filed it.

I think I'll extend the tenon to the other end of the body :wink:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:
GrantB wrote:I agree - as long as the pocket is deep enough and the length doesn't go any shorter than what is drawn, it should be OK. In saying that, if it goes horribly wrong, Bg and I can delete any text here that has us saying anything at all....and in fact, make it look like we warned you against such a thing. :wave:
I have taken a snapshot and filed it.

I think I'll extend the tenon to the other end of the body :wink:
photoshop trickery!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

As Mr Strummers so eloquently observed there was not enough 'concave arch' for the Bigsby to sit properly on the top...
So spent a good part of the afternoon carving with the thumb planer. In fact all of it was done with it. I finally got the hang of it :D

This is how it looks now. Just the horns remaining.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

:thumbup: That thumb plane is a little ripper
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

How's the blister from the plane?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Yes! Looks much better.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

H671 wrote::thumbup: That thumb plane is a little ripper
Indeed, but it rips gently once you get the hang of it. I had to back it right off.
Post by Lostininverness » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:17 pm
How's the blister from the plane?
I got the blister from the chisel. The thumb plane is fine.
Post by bender » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:59 pm
Yes! Looks much better.
Yes, but still not satisfied so took more off today. I now know why moulding/copy routers exist. It would be so good to have one...

Tried to change the brightness and contrast to bring things out but I need a course from SB for that. All the pencil marks are dimples that need sanding out.

I am slowly getting enough of this, ie, :shock: about the amount of work involved.

Looks like the skin of someone with a really bad skin disease :D