Presumably this shouldn't be like this

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Presumably this shouldn't be like this

Post by NippleWrestler »

IMG_8704.jpg
IMG_8704.jpg (398.5 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
I was inside my amp today (story incoming) to clean the tube sockets after a few years of inactivity to track down the cause of background pops and futz and static.

This resistor (a screen resistor?) Is hanging loose. There's another identical resistor that is connected about 2 inches away by the other power tube.

Presumably this guy wants to be reconnected?

The markings on there, as best I can tell, say Mexico M0338 (could be 330).

Amp is a Mesa Stiletto Ace 50w if that helps, but this doesn't seem 100% kosher.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Presumably this shouldn't be like this

Post by NZTone.e »

Probably 330 ohms, I think I can remember buying 330 ohm resistors for the screen grid on an Fender hotrod way back.

I can’t help you at all but logic would dictate any dangling component can’t be a good thing!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

NZTone.e wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:06 pm Probably 330 ohms, I think I can remember buying 330 ohm resistors for the screen grid on an Fender hotrod way back.

I can’t help you at all but logic would dictate any dangling component can’t be a good thing!
Indeedy, that was my thought process. I can't find them in the schematic which makes it more fun.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Screen resistors are probably 1K if its EL34's, can you measure them both ?
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:53 pm Screen resistors are probably 1K if its EL34's, can you measure them both ?
I did, they're both 1k on the nose. Schematic says they're the screen resistors (as you pointed out and as I suspected but the 338 threw me off) so I soldered it back in and touched up the other one.

I also cleaned out all the tube sockets, pots, jacks, and the background noise has all but totally gone. There's fan whirr because this amp awesomely has a fan pointed at the power tubes but overall a great success and this is a hell of an amp upon first impressions.

And to answer my own question, it should not have been hanging loose.