Modding a 5e3 to record direct?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Modding a 5e3 to record direct?

Post by Reg18 »

So I’ve been looking for a better tone to go direct into the PA and somehow never realised you can come out of the effects loop of an amp into a Cab simulator and go direct that way. If it has a master volume you can turn that down and use the preamp volume to control volume to the DI/Cab sim (so effectively silent on stage)
So instead of trying to find the best preamp pedal to emulate my 5e3 clean tone maybe I could mod it to have an effects loop to get the actual 5e3 preamp into my IR loader pedal!
Is this possible?
Is there a reason people don’t do this?
Is having a preamp designed to go direct always going to sound better?

My IR loader does have power amp simulation as well.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Modding a 5e3 to record direct?

Post by Reg18 »

And before you ask I have a Joyo American Sound on the way which I’ll compare as well. Which would be the obvious question ‘why not use a modeling pedal?’

Example of recording out of effects loop.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3480 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

The easiest way is to take a parallel feed from your speaker output like Rob's diagram here:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/line-out-f ... mp.827942/

R1 could be a 50k audio pot wired as a rheostat (connect lugs 2&3) for some level control. Then you just need a speaker sim :)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Cdog wrote:The easiest way is to take a parallel feed from your speaker output like Rob's diagram here:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/line-out-f ... mp.827942/

R1 could be a 50k audio pot wired as a rheostat (connect lugs 2&3) for some level control. Then you just need a speaker sim :)
Interesting, looks like that takes a line out from a different spot, does that way mean you can still have the amp silent?

I got Steve Bartlet (Baja) to do the Master Volume mods on my 5e3 so if I went down this path I’d properly get him to any mods again.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

http://www.samsontech.com/direct-boxes-part-1/
If Cdog's idea doesnt work for ya you could try a d.i box then run a speaker sim pedal. For volume control maybe the sim pedal you choose could have a level control.
These Samson boxes can run from the speaker out which would be the best way to do it I reckon.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

I have tried running my Nux Solid Studio (IR loader/DI) between my speaker out and cabinet (using the through jack to go to the cabinet and other output to headphones) and it works well. Although I still have a little bit of volume coming through the amp for some reason.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Reg18 wrote: Interesting, looks like that takes a line out from a different spot, does that way mean you can still have the amp silent?

I got Steve Bartlet (Baja) to do the Master Volume mods on my 5e3 so if I went down this path I’d properly get him to any mods again.
No, this isn't silent.

Pros:
It's your poweramp's natural interaction with speaker that is captured... i.e. actual 'reactive' speaker load, no additional loadbox required
The easiest and cheapest mod

Cons:
Not silent
Requires software/IR cab sim

I built an Aiken amps reactive load box for my 18W, and had a similar line-out spliced from that. Sounded great using IR cabs when I had the Pangaea. You really notice the difference from playing through purely resistive load, which is pretty meh. This was of course, a 'silent' solution. I pulled it apart for another project unfortunately, otherwise I could have loaned it to you! :|

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Cdog wrote:
Reg18 wrote: Interesting, looks like that takes a line out from a different spot, does that way mean you can still have the amp silent?

No, this isn't silent.

Pros:
It's your poweramp's natural interaction with speaker that is captured... i.e. actual 'reactive' speaker load, no additional loadbox required
The easiest and cheapest mod

Cons:
Not silent
Requires software/IR cab sim

I built an Aiken amps reactive load box for my 18W, and had a similar line-out spliced from that. Sounded great using IR cabs when I had the Pangaea. You really notice the difference from playing through purely resistive load, which is pretty meh. This was of course, a 'silent' solution. I pulled it apart for another project unfortunately, otherwise I could have loaned it to you! :|
Is this the right schematic?
Does anyone on here want to build me one?
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... d.1072793/

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

This is what I’m getting coming out of the 5e3 into the Nux (have the physical cab still connected so it has a load)
Master volume is down on the amp but preamp volume is up around 2/4 so it’s virtually silent.
I think it sounds better than most of the modellers I’ve tried so far!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

Gut shots of the suhr reactive load on this page and they're saying it looks like the Aiken design! https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 93/page-18

Cheeky buggers!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Some power attenuators have a silent/headphones setting. Your amp would be silent with 99.999% of the output power soaked up by the attenuator but the tone of that goodness is available at a low level via the headphone out jack. This could drive the PA. Can't remember which attenuators do this but I'm sure I've seen them.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

jeremyb wrote:Gut shots of the suhr reactive load on this page and they're saying it looks like the Aiken design! https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 93/page-18

Cheeky buggers!!
Always amazes me how there is naff all in them but they cost a bomb.
Have been tempted to build a high wattage version of the Aiken design for a while, one that doesnt have a panic attack with an actual 100w amp.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 413 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

jeremyb wrote:Gut shots of the suhr reactive load on this page and they're saying it looks like the Aiken design! https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 93/page-18

Cheeky buggers!!
Suhr’s response:

Randall is the man and his website is a wealth of solid information.

But I went and had a look at his site and just for the record even though Inductors, Resistors and Capacitors are going to be in most devices like this we are not doing exactly what Randall shows in his white papers and our values are completely different.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

The hardest thing I found was being able to get inductors with the right power rating. Next time I’ll prolly just roll my own. Sorry Reg, no spare time at the mo otherwise I coulda helped. :(

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Reg18 wrote:This is what I’m getting coming out of the 5e3 into the Nux (have the physical cab still connected so it has a load)
Master volume is down on the amp but preamp volume is up around 2/4 so it’s virtually silent.
I think it sounds better than most of the modellers I’ve tried so far!

This sounds great!