Lacquering black tolex?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Lacquering black tolex?

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Has anyone ever done this on black tolex for protection/integrity? I have a cheap but very cool little vintage practise amp where the original tolex is peeling back due to damp & age. Once I’ve dried out the cab and glued it back down, I was thinking a thick lacquer coat might keep it from happening again, especially since the tolex is not wrapped but each side is cut as a separate piece and thus prone to peeling from the corners. Does this sound like a good idea or should I just bite the bullet and re-tolex it properly?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Lacquering black tolex?

Post by Bg »

Can't see any harm in trying it - if you're prepared to bite the bullet to re-tolex anyway.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

RectifiedAmps wrote:Has anyone ever done this on black tolex for protection/integrity? I have a cheap but very cool little vintage practise amp where the original tolex is peeling back due to damp & age. Once I’ve dried out the cab and glued it back down, I was thinking a thick lacquer coat might keep it from happening again, especially since the tolex is not wrapped but each side is cut as a separate piece and thus prone to peeling from the corners. Does this sound like a good idea or should I just bite the bullet and re-tolex it properly?
You're relying on lacquer to provide structural integrity (Stop the vinyl lifting). Given its propensity for cracking, I'd say good luck with that, but I mean good luck; don't take my opinion. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:
RectifiedAmps wrote:Has anyone ever done this on black tolex for protection/integrity? I have a cheap but very cool little vintage practise amp where the original tolex is peeling back due to damp & age. Once I’ve dried out the cab and glued it back down, I was thinking a thick lacquer coat might keep it from happening again, especially since the tolex is not wrapped but each side is cut as a separate piece and thus prone to peeling from the corners. Does this sound like a good idea or should I just bite the bullet and re-tolex it properly?
You're relying on lacquer to provide structural integrity (Stop the vinyl lifting). Given its propensity for cracking, I'd say good luck with that, but I mean good luck; don't take my opinion. :D
I thought it would be more to keep the damp out once glued back down....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Yeh, you’re both right with regards to what I was thinking - lacquer to keep it from lifting AND keep the cheap MDF from soaking up more humidity. I’ll give it a go and see what happens. I paid $11 for this thing, so I’m not risking much!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
I thought it would be more to keep the damp out once glued back down....
Aah, right. I was thinking the moisture problem could be solved by putting the beer somewhere else.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

RectifiedAmps wrote:Yeh, you’re both right with regards to what I was thinking - lacquer to keep it from lifting AND keep the cheap MDF from soaking up more humidity. I’ll give it a go and see what happens. I paid $11 for this thing, so I’m not risking much!
You’d need to lacquer the inside too.