Fenderish amp kits

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Fenderish amp kits

Post by Cdog »

After a fender amp, figured might as well build one... Because reasons. :think:

Be keen to hear some thoughts on good options, as I've not played many Fenders but like the sounds. Weber do some kits and seem the most reasonably priced from my initial recon.

So... what do you think? Not after a Tweed, more the Blackface vibe. I love the cleans of a Twin, but not keen the size or relative cost of making one. Thinking a 1x12 combo. Obviously theres the Blackface DR? I'm after a cleanish amp, but that will overdrive nicely with pedals. Reverb is nice but I have a decent pedal so it's not a deal breaker. Any suggestions or experience with fender kits? Thanks :)

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Fenderish amp kits

Post by Optical »

Mojotone or Ceriatone both make great options. Perhaps build a head so you can use a variety of cabs?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Optical wrote:Mojotone or Ceriatone both make great options. Perhaps build a head so you can use a variety of cabs?
Thanks for reply. Do Ceriatone still offer kits? Can't seem to find them on the site. Mojotone are pretty pricey, but.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Although it doesn't help you with the blackface vibe, I've built a 5E3 kit from Boothill amplifiers - http://www.boothillamps.com/5E3_Kits.html - turned out ok. Not that I've played a real one to compare it too tho....

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Thanks for the link! Just discovered Hoffman amp kits too .. lots of research to be done now :)

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Cdog wrote:
Optical wrote:Mojotone or Ceriatone both make great options. Perhaps build a head so you can use a variety of cabs?
Thanks for reply. Do Ceriatone still offer kits? Can't seem to find them on the site. Mojotone are pretty pricey, but.
Certiatone do kits, they have some kit pricing breakdowns under the amp listings.
You can email them for shipping costs too.

I was looking at getting bits for a headshell from them recently, they gave me these prices as a rough guide:
AH50 head cab = USD 185
Chassis = 75
Faceplates = 56
Knobs = USD 26
Ship to NZ = USD 167 Fed Ex

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Alright... I'm beginning to lean towards the Super Reverb head idea. Prolly going to spend most time in a 'bedroom' situation, but I hope to get out again in a few years. :lol:

Weber's kit is $630USD Mojotone's is $950USD! A few differences, notably a copper cap rectifier in the Weber. The Weber cabs come with colour options. I've heard the tube sockets and RCA jacks are a bit nasty but otherwise they're fine. The Transformers are another potential weakness?

Does anyone have any comments on Weber kits?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

*cough* VOX AC15 will be on the block soon

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Weber kits include loaded speaker cabs in their pricing, but I've heard some of their components are a bit cheesy and benefit from upgrading.

Across the ditch, Evatco offer a 5E3 kit for a reasonable price, although these days shipping from Aus isn't any cheaper or quicker than shipping from the US.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Forgot to add - for Weber kits I think the jacks and pots were the main weak spots.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Cdog wrote:Alright... I'm beginning to lean towards the Super Reverb head idea. Prolly going to spend most time in a 'bedroom' situation, but I hope to get out again in a few years. :lol:

Weber's kit is $630USD Mojotone's is $950USD! A few differences, notably a copper cap rectifier in the Weber. The Weber cabs come with colour options. I've heard the tube sockets and RCA jacks are a bit nasty but otherwise they're fine. The Transformers are another potential weakness?

Does anyone have any comments on Weber kits?
yeah its worth upgrading some components. Copper can rectifier is ok but I'd bang a tube in and keep the copper can for a spare, I did have a diagram somewhere for them. Most of the parts are fine, chinese tubes which are serviceable. Transformers aren't the best, but for the price.....

I've only built one of theirs though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7686 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender

Post by RectifiedAmps »

jeremyb wrote:Also worth checking out: http://triodeelectronics.com/ampsandgear.html
I forgot about Triode. That's pretty damn cheap, given the quality of the components included.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Thanks lads, appreciate the comments :)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie