Amp Build + Mods

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Amp Build + Mods

Post by Single coil »

Nah man, flood the page. This is great.

Reckon it’s possible to do in black and white (for the colour averse among us)?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Single coil wrote:Nah man, flood the page. This is great.

Reckon it’s possible to do in black and white (for the colour averse among us)?
Haha yea happy to do so!

Re: Amp Build + Mods,

I've actually just realized something. I noted that I need a 5e3 Transformer for my build with a 330---0---330 spec. Wrong.. Because I am not using a rectifier, I would need something below:

Input = 100 volts/ 220V secondary or vise versa
HV = around 275---0---275 @ 100--120 ma
6.3 volts @ 2--2.5 amps.

If anyone is able to help with this! Just checking if I anyone have this spec locally.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Duncan amplification's PSU utility is a fantastic (free) design tool,
get it here
http://www.duncanamps.com/software.html
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

I may have found a power transformer.

Just a quick question though. There's an output transformer with:

And it is Series connection 220v,or In parallel connection 110V.
Core size:76x40
270---0---270
6.3V 3.15Vx2

Just wondering what would happen if I ran 110V on a 100v socket? It was noted to me by the company that they sell amps to Japan market with 110V voltage. Just not quite sure how it would work. Cheers

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

Marshmallow wrote:I may have found a power transformer.

270---0---270
6.3V 3.15Vx2

Just wondering what would happen if I ran 110V on a 100v socket? It was noted to me by the company that they sell amps to Japan market with 110V voltage. Just not quite sure how it would work. Cheers
"Ohm's law states that the electrical current (I) flowing in an circuit is proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). Therefore, if the voltage is increased, the current will increase provided the resistance of the circuit does not change."

so generally if one drops the other will too. - Assuming your loading is the constant.
if you under-voltage your current will too..

not sure how well tubes cope with being under-currented - or over currented

if it helps though..
Here in New Zealand we're a "230v" country.. but most things that come in are rated 220-240v

and most of the time, you'll find the power at the outlet at your house usually sits between 235-245 depending on how close you live to the Transformer on the line. :clap:
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

SimpleSi wrote:

270---0---270
6.3V 3.15Vx2

"Ohm's law states that the electrical current (I) flowing in an circuit is proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). Therefore, if the voltage is increased, the current will increase provided the resistance of the circuit does not change."

so generally if one drops the other will too. - Assuming your loading is the constant.
if you under-voltage your current will too..

not sure how well tubes cope with being under-currented - or over currented

if it helps though..
Here in New Zealand we're a "230v" country.. but most things that come in are rated 220-240v

and most of the time, you'll find the power at the outlet at your house usually sits between 235-245 depending on how close you live to the Transformer on the line. :clap:
110 should be fine then. Thanks man! btw I've ordered the transformer! should arrive in 2 weeks!

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

270---0---270
6.3V 3.15Vx2

Multiply the PT's rated secondary voltages by 100/110

270 x 100/110 = 245 (so 245-0-245, which will produce a B+ of 345ish with a SS 2-phase rectifier). So we'd expect the high tension winding will be good for 5E3 voltages (Assuming you're running 6V6s)

However, 6.3 x 100/110 = 5.72, which may or may not be a problem. Heaters usually function okay within a band of +/- 10% of the design voltage (but the closer you get to the edges of the 10% limit, the less reliable they are). 6.3 - 0.63 = 5.67 So you'll have to see when you get to Japan. Might be fine. If there's a problem when you get to Japan, go to the local electronics store and buy a little japanese mains/filament transformer rated for 2 to 3A (assuming you're running 6V6s) and wire your heaters to that.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

tubeswell wrote:

270---0---270
6.3V 3.15Vx2

Multiply the PT's rated secondary voltages by 100/110

270 x 100/110 = 245 (so 245-0-245, which will produce a B+ of 345ish with a SS 2-phase rectifier). So we'd expect the high tension winding will be good for 5E3 voltages (Assuming you're running 6V6s)

However, 6.3 x 100/110 = 5.72, which may or may not be a problem. Heaters usually function okay within a band of +/- 10% of the design voltage (but the closer you get to the edges of the 10% limit, the less reliable they are). 6.3 - 0.63 = 5.67 So you'll have to see when you get to Japan. Might be fine. If there's a problem when you get to Japan, go to the local electronics store and buy a little japanese mains/filament transformer rated for 2 to 3A (assuming you're running 6V6s) and wire your heaters to that.
Thanks for the late reply! I had to revive this thread as I am finally working on it now. As soon as I got here, things got crazy and have managed to just settle down and find a design job despite not being fluent in Japanese lol. Transformer on its way!! Have completed one other amp though haha. Will post photos in the next few weeks!

CHeeeeeerrs!