Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Single coil
Yes.
BY calling card
5E3 sound sweet even un pushed. JMP50 sound like shit until the point where your ears break. Sure you want to do this :)
BY Reg18
calling card wrote:5E3 sound sweet even un pushed. JMP50 sound like shit until the point where your ears break. Sure you want to do this :)

This may be enough to put me off.

I wonder if I can mod it closer to a black face deluxe instead to give me something different but more useful than the standard normal channel.
BY Single coil
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Can you mod it so it sounds like a Katana?

Also yes.
BY Reg18
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Can you mod it so it sounds like a Katana?

Just put a metal zone in front and bingo!
BY Single coil
Shots fired :lol:
BY Dharmajester
Reg18 wrote:

Maybe I'm just a miserable cloth ear'd old c--t but if that sounds like a Plexi I'll eat my pants.

Mate, you should know after your years of gear shuffling, there are no shortcuts. Sure we all like to imagine an easy solution to the all in one amp dream lies just round the corner, but in reality there's no such thing ( well not on a budget anyways ).

It's easy to waste a lot of smaller amounts of money on project substitutes, cheaper in the long run to just save up and get the real deal ( and a decent attenuator of course :thumbup: )
BY AiRdAd
Listening to that - I agree, it doesn't sound like my plexi either. I'm getting a bit nervous about you doing the mod now. Especially if it risks killing some of the magic that you've already got.
BY olegmcnoleg
calling card wrote:I'd imagine a 6V6 based plexi would be something you could push without so much destruction of your hearing system. I have no idea how invasive it would be on the stock layout. Not something I'd do to my 5E3.

I have a 6V6-based Plexi. Indeed, it is a bit less brutal to the ears, and a bit wider tone-wise

Recommended. Having said that, I am selling it! Or you can come round and try it for reference before you break out the hot iron, if you are Aucks...
BY Reg18
olegmcnoleg wrote:
calling card wrote:I'd imagine a 6V6 based plexi would be something you could push without so much destruction of your hearing system. I have no idea how invasive it would be on the stock layout. Not something I'd do to my 5E3.

I have a 6V6-based Plexi. Indeed, it is a bit less brutal to the ears, and a bit wider tone-wise

Recommended. Having said that, I am selling it! Or you can come round and try it for reference before you break out the hot iron, if you are Aucks...

Tell me more about the amp your selling.
I liked Corey’s 18watt Marshall clone and he had both 6v6 and EL84 tubes which you could switch between.
They do change the sound/feel but it’s not necessarily better or worse.
BY olegmcnoleg
Reg18 wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:

Tell me more about the amp your selling.
I liked Corey’s 18watt Marshall clone and he had both 6v6 and EL84 tubes which you could switch between.
They do change the sound/feel but it’s not necessarily better or worse.

Sales thread from a while back...

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=30847
BY olegmcnoleg
Conway wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:Sales thread from a while back...

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=30847

But the pix have disappeared due to photobucket nonsense... and without pix, it ain't nothin'!

Bugger, I'll dig them out when I get home. In the mean time, close your eyes and imagine a small Marshall 1x12 combo, replete with Marshall logo, but with a black faceplate