Another Cab 2x12

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Re: Another Cab 2x12

Post by Starfire »

That looks very good. The piping really finishes it off. Is there going to be a back panel on the head? Would make it look nice and tidy. As would some finishing/cup washers on the screws that hold the back on. Just a suggestion. It does look good though. I like that finish; I may have missed it but what product did you use?

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

what sort of joint did you use for the top/side joins?
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Wow, that finished cab & head are stunning.

You have quite some talent, beautiful work.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Molly wrote:That looks fantastic!

I have to make a nice case for the ryan amp. Might need your guidance.

haha no worries man, just flick me a message, i could possibly make you one when the time comes (i sometimes get days off from work).
twangnsnarl wrote:That looks very good. The piping really finishes it off. Is there going to be a back panel on the head? Would make it look nice and tidy. As would some finishing/cup washers on the screws that hold the back on. Just a suggestion. It does look good though. I like that finish; I may have missed it but what product did you use?
Hey man, Thanks, yea i was hesitating on the piping, got the leather bias from my sister and bought a 2.5mm thck cord to create the piping.Yup there's a back panel for the head but it didn't quite fit right for this amp, i'm waiting for my brother to finish the amp i started then i'll chuck it on here and fit the back panel. I used the waterbased resene varnish and waterbased urethane on top> The oil base one doesn't quite stick on pine unless you prep it really good, and even so, they still wont stick. :lol:
Last edited by Marshmallow on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I'm such a dunce. Only just realised I can use pine for the head case too. Tonally it wouldn't make any difference what I used. Been looking at the PRS heads. They have that mesh across the front through which you can see the tubes glow. Like the idea of that. I've got some nice mesh left over from a Boogie I didn't put back together properly..... LOL.

This thread's really got me thinkin'. :thumbup:

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

shit thomas they look FANTASTIC...damn I should have got you to build me a 4x12 :mad: :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Molly wrote:I'm such a dunce. Only just realised I can use pine for the head case too. Tonally it wouldn't make any difference what I used. Been looking at the PRS heads. They have that mesh across the front through which you can see the tubes glow. Like the idea of that. I've got some nice mesh left over from a Boogie I didn't put back together properly..... LOL.

This thread's really got me thinkin'. :thumbup:

That can be done not a problem! Those PRS amps look awesome! Yea those perforated steel are a little expensive to buy haha, having them now will save you some $$. I could sketch it on 3D quickly when the time comes, I was thinking of doing mine having the tubes upright but the design on the cab has to be the same layout hence the new amp will be backwards haha XD.

EDIT: for those flamed look, you can buy a small flamed veneer and iron it onto the wood after applying glue, it'll give you a nice flamed finish and added the colour, it'll look amazing! I've done it at work, maybe I should try it when I build another one. :lol:

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

that looks way cool