Building a combo amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Building a combo amp

Post by Braden-M-50 »

BG wrote:Its really no more work to fit the speakers from the rear, just drill holes for the bolts to go through, make them a tight fit and put a drop of glue on each one so that it doesn't move when you tighten up your nuts (oo-err).
I might do that, I'll see if i have the time and money.
It'll sound the same... :P
Fender Strat w/ 57/62s ---> Ceriatone Princeton w/ Jensen P10R

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Awh shit... :roll: Rear load it is then ...

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I'd take some of that with a grain of salt or two but I would think apart from anything else, that by rear loading you'll have less chance of distorting the speaker frames - Jensen alnicos are notoriously easy to distort - then you may as well throw it in the bin, the voice coils start catching.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

BG wrote:I'd take some of that with a grain of salt or two but I would think apart from anything else, that by rear loading you'll have less chance of distorting the speaker frames - Jensen alnicos are notoriously easy to distort - then you may as well throw it in the bin, the voice coils start catching.
How likely is it that they will start distorting?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

BG wrote:I'd take some of that with a grain of salt or two but I would think apart from anything else, that by rear loading you'll have less chance of distorting the speaker frames - Jensen alnicos are notoriously easy to distort - then you may as well throw it in the bin, the voice coils start catching.
I'd have thought that rear loading would be more serviceable too in that one wouldn't need to deal with grille cloth adjustments... like if one wanted to change speakers after it'd all been tolexed and grille clothed up 'n stuff
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

rocklander wrote:
I'd have thought that rear loading would be more serviceable too in that one wouldn't need to deal with grille cloth adjustments... like if one wanted to change speakers after it'd all been tolexed and grille clothed up 'n stuff
Yeah, i would've done rear loading in the first place but my wood is 12cm thick (oo-er) ... ( did i do that oo-er thing right?) and i bought 12cm screws for it. And i'd need to buy bigger ones for rear loading, oh well. It's only like $5.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Braden-M-50 wrote:How likely is it that they will start distorting?
Just treat them with respect when you tighten them up, each bolt diagonally and in stages, like a cylinder head ;) Don't overtighten, you should be fine. Just something to be aware of. The P10r's are the dogs bollocks :)

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

BG wrote: The P10r's are the dogs bollocks :)
Is that good? haha...

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

T-nuts, BG?
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nah I never bother with those, just normal bolts, glued in.... t-nuts cost money ;)

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Hey BG, what do you use to apply the tolex with? some type of adhesive or something...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Braden-M-50 wrote:Hey BG, what do you use to apply the tolex with? some type of adhesive or something...
I use contact adhesive available from all branches of Mitre10 and Mitre10 Mega,.... and other stores, where I don't get hefty discount. Make sure you get enough on, don't skimp on it.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

BG wrote:
Braden-M-50 wrote:Hey BG, what do you use to apply the tolex with? some type of adhesive or something...
I use contact adhesive available from all branches of Mitre10 and Mitre10 Mega,.... and other stores, where I don't get hefty discount. Make sure you get enough on, don't skimp on it.
Okay bro , got any brands to buy ?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, if you're feeling flush, the spray on kind is a bit less messy

http://www.mitre10mega.co.nz/shop/paint ... ml_119288/

or a tin that you can spread on will be a bit cheaper...

mmm nice website!