rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

I fix 2x delay pedals

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I got these two well loved pedals from @Delayman. I actually only bought the Ibanez, but Dave was extremely generous and sent me the Yamaha too!

The one on the left was making a sort of bitcrusher sounding distortion with a hint of delay, and the one on the right worked, but the power and in/out jacks were very flakey, it would cut out every time you touched it.

Inside of the Ibanez

Typical 80/90's delay pedal, very complex circuit!

All I needed to do was to re-solder all the joints on the jacks and the power connection. The battery snap had been broken and taped up, so I fixed that too.

This one has been well used!

Footswitch is looking pretty rough. This was actaully the hardest thing to fix, I had to take it apart very carefully and super glue it back together. Inside it's very odd mechanism, never seen a switch like it.

Dave told me he thought it had been modified to work with a normal 9 volt power supply, which sounded wrong to me. So before I even tried plugging it in, I opened it up. Definitely been modified!

New wires soldered (badly) directly to board, and the case says it needs a 22 volt power supply. So I doubt very much it will power up correctly with 9 volts.

At one point, it looks like it had a transformer inside. It still has an intact 250 volt fuse for mains power. Interesting.

80's analog goodness. And rust from spilled beer.

Sexy MN3005 chip for approx 300ms of BBD delay awesomesauce.

I figured that I could probably power this up with the 24volt power supply from my Deluxe Memory Man. But a quick check with a multimeter confirms that this pedal is centre negative and also the plug is 2.1mm, unlike the Memory Man which has a 2.5mm connector.

Luckily I have this thing, a Powerall Charge pump. It boosts a normal Boss type power supply up to 12, 18, or 24 volts. It powered the Yamaha up perfectly. I also had to resolder the input and output connectors as they were noisy and dodgy.

Two perfectly working delay pedals. The Ibanez sounds great, nice and bright and clear like those 80's/90's delay pedals like the Boss DD-2 and all the killer rack delays from that era.

The Yamaha delay is surprising, very dark tone, unlike most analog delays, it doesn't oscillate and make crazy out of control noises. It's super nice and like my Memory Man, it kinds melts away and blends in with what I play.
I could totally see myself using it as an always on slapback kind of thing, it's a seriously cool pedal.

I'm pretty likely to sell the Ibanez delay, as i have a Boss reverb/delay which has a similar sound, so PM if you're interested. 50% of the sale price will go to NZG to pay forward Daves' generosity!

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: I fix 2x delay pedals

Post by Single coil »

Images won’t load atm cuz sallies wifi is mental but I like this
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I think i made all the links wrong, might work now.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Fantastic to see! I'm so happy they both worked out, and I love your pay-it-forward approach. I really liked the Ibanez delay sound, and was hoping it was something simple to fix.

I got these in a random box of weird stuff I bought off trademe a while back. I'm more likely to harm than help on the end of a soldering iron, so I'm glad you turned them into something valuable.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Great thread!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

the trim pots in the Yamaha might be worth a tweek.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Awesome job! Feels awesome fixing up something so that it can do another gig and make some people happy.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

mrmofo wrote:the trim pots in the Yamaha might be worth a tweek.

Oh-er. That sounds like something I would do wrong!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Good on ya mate. They don't make'em like they used to

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

bbrunskill wrote:
mrmofo wrote:the trim pots in the Yamaha might be worth a tweek.

Oh-er. That sounds like something I would do wrong!
be sure t mark where the original position is, then tweak until you hear a high pitch scream, then tweak back till the screech disappears. you get more delay time and less fidelity. just need to find the right trim pot first
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

fuck that sounds mean
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Great stuff Ben! I'm always quite envious of people with the know-how to do things like this. The extent of my knowledge begins and ends at pushing the footswitch on and off haha

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

SimonHirst wrote:Great stuff Ben! I'm always quite envious of people with the know-how to do things like this. The extent of my knowledge begins and ends at pushing the footswitch on and off haha
that's me too! Occasionally i'll fiddle with those turny things on top - oh yeah knobs.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...