griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

DIY Reactive load schematic

Post by griff »

Found this online after realizing maybe I don't need to pay $750 to import a Suhr Reactive load.
The sound sample in the vid sounds great but this unit apparently can only handle a 5 watt amp.
Any techies out there looking at this and thinking yeah or nah?

http://www.hexeguitar.com/diy/utility/spkload

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: DIY Reactive load schematic

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Looks ok to me, it can handle 5 Watts so can be used with higher wattage amps if you keep the master down low. Its primarily a load / DI box not an attenuator.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Check out Aiken amps reactive load design. Much simpler, you could do a line out from the amp at the same time. I built one to use with my pangaea for silent practice, sounded much better than a plain ole resistor

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Looks ok to me, it can handle 5 Watts so can be used with higher wattage amps if you keep the master down low. Its primarily a load / DI box not an attenuator.
Yep cool. That's exactly what I'm after as my amp can attenuate anyway.
Cdog wrote:Check out Aiken amps reactive load design. Much simpler, you could do a line out from the amp at the same time. I built one to use with my pangaea for silent practice, sounded much better than a plain ole resistor
Yeah I think this one is based on that. Very interested!
Cant bond with amp sims aye

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Hey bro I dont have time to add more it's study week... but here's the line out mod. This is Aiken amps design not mine, more info at http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/desi ... d-emulator

Adding a line out is a common approach plenty of guys round here can answer any questions, I gots to go study now and stop getting distracted!!! :lol:
Attachments
sch.pdf
(181.49 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

And while my stuff is printing, to explain the load will make your amp 'feel' or behave more like it's playing through a speaker than if you just used a plain 16 Ohm resistor. The line out will splice a bit of signal off the load, but it will need to go into an cab sim to sound decent.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Thanks for ya time mate! Now off to study you go haha

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I've only just started reading up on this load box stuff since i got JB's Pangaea. Silent practice and recording is very appealing to me.

The Laney IRT Studio i have has an internal dummy load for when the speaker is not connected. I think for an initial practice set up i can run the DI out of the Laney into the Pangaea to the headphones. I'm not sure what the dummy load is or how it interacts with the signal. I will email Laney and try find out more about it.

I think a step up for practicing and recording would be to run a reactive load with the Laney and Pangaea.

I too don't want to pay that much for a Suhr either. The Laney is 15w but i would love to crank it up for that juicy power amperage.

Does that Aiken Amps thing have a kit or the like? how much would it cost to make?

Has anyone had a look at the Two Notes Torpedo Captor? That seems to be the best solution if you pick the model with the right ohms

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Mattallica wrote:I've only just started reading up on this load box stuff since i got JB's Pangaea. Silent practice and recording is very appealing to me.

The Laney IRT Studio i have has an internal dummy load for when the speaker is not connected. I think for an initial practice set up i can run the DI out of the Laney into the Pangaea to the headphones. I'm not sure what the dummy load is or how it interacts with the signal. I will email Laney and try find out more about it.

I think a step up for practicing and recording would be to run a reactive load with the Laney and Pangaea.

I too don't want to pay that much for a Suhr either. The Laney is 15w but i would love to crank it up for that juicy power amperage.

Does that Aiken Amps thing have a kit or the like? how much would it cost to make?

Has anyone had a look at the Two Notes Torpedo Captor? That seems to be the best solution if you pick the model with the right ohms
I'm also looking at the Two Notes Captor but no reviews yet. Looks like it's shipping July/August.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

I'm also looking at the Two Notes Captor but no reviews yet. Looks like it's shipping July/August.
Typical late release date, i want it now! Is there an NZ importer for Two Notes?

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mattallica wrote:
Typical late release date, i want it now! Is there an NZ importer for Two Notes?

Musicworks can get em in apparently, they gave me a price for the Live and C.A.B a while back ex auz.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Mattallica wrote:I've only just started reading up on this load box stuff since i got JB's Pangaea. Silent practice and recording is very appealing to me.

I'm talking to a techie about building me a unit in the link I posted at the top so will keep everyone posted if that goes ahead.
The Captor looks the way to go, such a good price! Might have to pre order tho as it won't be released until early September now. I wonder how it will compare in sound quality to the other Two Notes products?
I'm willing to bet they're trying to trump the Suhr load which seems to be the best unit tonally at the moment.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

The price is indeed shit hot. Hopefully they don't dial back the tech on it to make the expensive stuff more appealing.

My only question would be whether to get the 16 or 8 ohm version as my amp can run at either.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Musicworks can get em in apparently, they gave me a price for the Live and C.A.B a while back ex auz.
Was it a fair price and time frame?

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mattallica wrote:
Was it a fair price and time frame?

Was 4-5 working days I think from memory, nothing too outrageous. The Live back then was just under $1600, the C.A.B just under $950. Seems like a lot, but the second hand Lives I was looking at were still over a grand, and assuming I could bargain some discount out of the shop I'd pay a little extra for warranty, especially since people crank their tube amps into them. I did look abroad, but the risk/exchange rate and warranty seemed to kill that idea.

Anyhow, I had a load already and the Pangaea came up so jumped for that to try the IR's out. I'm impressed so would probably move to the C.A.B only if a second hand one popped up at the right money. The Captor looks great for the money, but I have this vision of running the IR output to the PA if I play in a group again, so the Live/CAB/Pangaea are good options for that.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..