Anyone tried the Disaster Area DPC 8EZ switcher?

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Anyone tried the Disaster Area DPC 8EZ switcher?

Post by SimonHirst »

I've been mulling over building a custom pedalboard, and going to a switcher (i.e Gigrig, Boss ES5/8, Disaster Area etc). I actually use a relatively small number of pedals compared to lots of people I know. About 8, but one of them is a AB/Y which, depending on the switcher, would probably be made redundant. My idea is to make quite a shallow 2 tier type board with the switcher mounted on a level above the individual pedals, something similar to Daniel's Gigrig type setups, but smaller. However, I'm not really interested in being able to turn on multiple pedals with one switch, so much as just having a very simple layout of footswitches right in front of my feet, which means I don't need a really complex switcher with all the midi functions, but am still wanting something good quality because it will get a pretty big workload.
Anyone have any recommendations? It's just an idea at this stage, and I'm not completely sold on it yet but thought I might throw the question out there :thumbup:
Last edited by SimonHirst on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Pedal switchers. What say you?!

Post by Timoes »

Great idea. I got a 7 switcha off Ryan from here. A Roadrage brand. Most used and abused pedal ever. Dont skimp out on cost.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Timoes wrote:Great idea. I got a 7 switcha off Ryan from here. A Roadrage brand. Most used and abused pedal ever. Dont skimp out on cost.
Nice, I've seen the RR ones, so I'll have a better look at them. No, certainly right! Cheers

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I've ordered a Moen GEC9 from Aussie - when it arrives I'll give you a review!!

http://www.swamp.net.au/moen-gec9-guita ... ing-system

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

sirvill wrote:I've ordered a Moen GEC9 from Aussie - when it arrives I'll give you a review!!

http://www.swamp.net.au/moen-gec9-guita ... ing-system
This looks great! I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on it! Thanks.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

if you just want to replace the switches in your pedals only, then build it, all you need is a drill, some switches, some LEDs, and a bunch of jacks, and an enclosure, there is a long one best suited. make a series of huggers, input to switch, output to jack, just sharing an enclosure. you could get hi tech, and make it relay switching using soft switches, but I wouldnt bother. it's a fun build because its so easy, do it. anything you buy will have a bunch of unwanted grouping options.

my 2c
b.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

I take it you're already familiar with loop-master?
http://www.loop-master.com/
They don't appear to make a loop strip with an AB-switcher on the end (seems like a no-brainer to me), but I guess you could just use the last loop like an AB switch by sending from the loop's output to your amp.
Nothing to see here.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Miza wrote:I take it you're already familiar with loop-master?
http://www.loop-master.com/
They don't appear to make a loop strip with an AB-switcher on the end (seems like a no-brainer to me), but I guess you could just use the last loop like an AB switch by sending from the loop's output to your amp.
Yeah, I think Grantb has had a couple by these guys..... solid as looking! The 6 loop one would be pretty similar to what I'm after I think.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I know this is a predictable response from me, but the BOSS ES-8 and ES-5 are straight up the best switchers on the market, period.

If at some stage you change your mind about wanting the MIDI control (which you should, MIDI control is awesome), then you'll be glad you went ES :-)
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Having been down the switcher rabbit hole before, I got heart palpitations when I look at this nice Boss ES-8...the idea of having to learn how to drive the thing, then set up all the patches etc....cold sweat, shakes, crying/rocking.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Try get one with clickless/soft switches if you can.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Yes, the ES-8/5's look great but their capabilities are far beyond what I'm really after. Agreed that if I was going that way, they'd most probably be the way I'd go though.
And much yes to the soft, clickless buttons! It's one thing that drives me crazy is hearing the clicks come out. I'm currently sitting pretty solidly on the fence on this idea. There are good arguments for both.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I've got a road rage 7 or 8 switch looper. Indestructible and idiot proof. Hard clicks but you certainly don't hear them (maybe cos the pedals in the loop are already on?)

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

handsoffmatt wrote:I know this is a predictable response from me, but the BOSS ES-8 and ES-5 are straight up the best switchers on the market, period.

If at some stage you change your mind about wanting the MIDI control (which you should, MIDI control is awesome), then you'll be glad you went ES :-)
Better than a Gigrig G2?

Unfair as the gigrig is probably way more expensive, but if you think it is that's good to know!

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

The GigRig G2 is a great product - but the BOSS is definitely better due to being significantly more flexible.

The ability to create parallel signal chains on the ES-8 is a big plus. Where it really sets itself apart is the mind boggling control capabilities of the ES-8. 6 assignable relay switches for controlling external gear, and ridiculous amounts if MIDI control available. Even if you completely ignore the pedal-switching capabilities, the ES-8 is a (very) full-featured MIDI controller.

Plus it's cheaper than the G2
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox