does every Hotcake have the lm308 chip?

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: does every Hotcake have the lm308 chip?

Post by Bg »

yeah but what speaker are you running with it?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

1 x 10 celestion gold thats never been turned up enough to break it in and probably never will.

in a marshall c110 cab. its a handmade in UK one so should be decent.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

hmmm should be good, wondering why it would sound a bit flabby...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dylan
Gibson

Post by dylan »

thatll be me. im even more corpulent than i used to be. no telecasters for dylan:)

**edit** i just realised that my beloved prs has no belly cut either. its such a tiny guitar it doesnt need one. much better for a 5'7 guy than my giant of a sheraton!
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

druz15 wrote:tl741 usually, I built a hotcake with one and it sounds great. tl742 in the prune n custard

that is interesting but not according to bajaman... im inclined to think since the HC came out in the '70's was more likely a LM741CP or LM741CN... but then this is all part of the smoke and mirrors which is always good times :D

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

fuzziebro wrote:
TmcB wrote:That's the one. The other chips don't need it.

I'd have a look at some single opamp chips that aren't $16 - the jaycar ones are terrible. Expensive and one actually failed on me.
Jaycar pisses me off... you pay twice as much for sub standard products to support dim-witted salespeople who in the main couldnt care less about their jobs...
Yeah but at least they exist.

I remember walking into a Dick Smith a few years ago and asking if they sold replacement pots and the sales guy looked at my like I was on drugs (pun intended). I looked around the store and realized they had gradually drifted towards being purely a hi-fi/TV shop and no longer sold any electrical stuff. :thumbdown: I guess they followed where the money was.
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Back on topic, I had a HC for a while and pretty much hated anything above zero on the presence knob. A weird upper mids that wasn't pleasing in my set up at the time.

And I'd agree with the topic about it sounding better louder. Its not a "smooth" distortion by any stretch, but sounds very musical in a band setting. Sort of like Orange amps.
Nothing to see here.

dylan
Gibson

Post by dylan »

If i turn off my power soak and put the amp on clean, the hotcake sounds like crap.
But for my normal use, power soak on and amp set to mild distortion, the hotcake is still the dirt box that makes it to the pedal board.

(back off topic) When Dick Smith stopped selling components they really should have changed their name - they just weren't Dick Smith any more.

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

dylan wrote:I When Dick Smith stopped selling components they really should have changed their name - they just weren't Dick Smith any more.
"Smiths little Dicks" perhaps?

He gave up, sold excess stock to Jaycar, and theres that slightly independant magazine called "Silicon chip" which charge like wounded bulls for back issues and particular obsolete articles of now slightly extinct functionality...
Miza wrote: Yeah but at least they exist.

I remember walking into a Dick Smith a few years ago and asking if they sold replacement pots and the sales guy looked at my like I was on drugs (pun intended). I looked around the store and realized they had gradually drifted towards being purely a hi-fi/TV shop and no longer sold any electrical stuff. :thumbdown: I guess they followed where the money was.

This is a GOOD point, many a Saturday morning I've run out of something and badly wanted to finish it, soo badly I've made the walk to the local JC and suffered my hard-earned cash on some comps; (which I'd probably replace later) but just to get the bugger working...

Plus they do have some interestering toys to get temporarily distracted by... so its not all bad... but I do wonder how much longer the sheeple will pay $12 for a footswtich which you can buy online for $2.99 US - I guess its the one timer- the Saturday morning special guy... the kind of one hit wonder - well tried that, didnt work, think I'll buy a 'proper' pedal harr harr... I dont know maybe I'm too cynical...

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

Company I was working for managed to buy a dick smith tower of resistors caps and fuses, for $50 when they went out of the good stuff. relived my post school job, reorganising the trays until stuff was as it should have been in the stores if people cared.

Woolworths australia (Countdown) bought dick smith a while back, i am constantly amazed they are still in business at all
b.