Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: This should sound... weird

Post by alanp »

Sorted!

This is what it looks like with the front panel off. Hugely fun, this oscillator -- the Timbre and Colour knobs do different things, depending on what waveform you have selected, plus it can decrease the bits, or the sampling rate (96kHz down to stupidly low) and all kinds of fun!

This is what it looked like in it's natural habitat. (Yes, I still have to bolt most of that in -- I've got a busboard on the way and am not hugely bothering until I have things finalized.) The FFB was from when I was playing with the "NOIS" setting.

Actually, at one point, I thought I heard ticking... and my heart SANK and went "oh, shiiiiit..."

luckily, I had just left a clock signal plugged into the 'TRIG' input, and it was doing what it was designed to. I think.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzugjmvofh7fz4l/braidstest.mp3?dl=0

Have a sound test. I was having WAY too much fun with the vocal waveforms at the start of this, and added a bit of modulation to the Timbre from the lfo I was using for the clock. It gets more normal from roughly 30 seconds onward. You can get some nice organ-chord-y stuff outta this thing, I was just enjoying the weirdo crap too much :)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

sounds and looks awesome! dude you must drive the neighbours crazy with them sounds tho!

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Neutron Sound Orgone Accumulator -- it's basically a voltage controlled oscillator with options galore, whose beating heart is a Teensyduino 3.1 (in this case, one from OSHpark.) Hugely fun, and between this, the Braids, and the SysX VCO, I think I'm about sorted for VCO's. Until I get bored. I still don't understand what the heck X, FM, and Fix do.

I've still got a second board/panel to build up, but not right now, I think. The delicacy of the soldering is smd-level annoying! (Look at the empty pads in the lower left corner to get an idea, by the N logo.)

The two are kits from Synthcube, who only included four button caps between the two kits. Yeesh. Their fulfillment and shipping dude needs to learn how to count.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Ian Fritz' Jerkster circuit -- a 3rd order autonomous chaos circuit. (No, I'm not completely sure what that means, either!) But it makes cool patterns and noises. The resistors on the pot backs are because I didn't have the right values on hand, so added them to reduce the pot resistance to what the circuit needs.

YUSYNTH Clock Divider. Three separate dividers, each going from divide by 1 to divide by 8. If you just plug an input into #1, then #2 daisychains off it (and #3, in turn, daisychains off #2. There is no input for #3 -- it's the Reset jack.) Very nice lightshow, and I'm sure I'll get good use out of it :D

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I was playing with the Jerkster just now. It can do audio rate stuff, but it excels as a control voltage generator! Here are some clips to show you --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kexaylmgus2mhqq/13-5-2015%20no%20mod.mp3?dl=0

Here's a straight clip. The bass is from the Braids in 'FOLD', the lead from the Orgone Accumulator (which has Position being modulated by Y from the Jerkster, but that's it.) All CV from the Klee sequencer (side A to the Braids, side B to the Orgone.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0h65jptiz67ue17/13-5-2015%20bass%20mod%20only.mp3?dl=0

Same as the first clip, except that the bass from the Braids has it's Timbre modulated by the X cv from the Jerkster. Orgone, no modulation (except for Position, which is pretty dang subtle in all these clips compared to what it can do.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cctn4how6kg0rbq/13-5-2015%20all%20mod.mp3?dl=0

This is with ALL modulation going! The Z cv from the Jerkster is controlling the Detune CV in the Orgone Accumulator now, which does what you'd think -- it constantly detunes the pitch by a varying amount (supplied by the chaotic Jerkster, in this case, again more subtly than what it can do.) The Y output is controlling the Orgone's Position, which crossfades between three different waveforms. The X output is controlling the Braids' (doing the bassline) timbre.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vfubu6qedv83tw/13-5-2015%20all%20mod%20no%20seq.mp3?dl=0

This is with the clock on the Klee stopped, so the two oscillators are stuck droning their note. This gives you a much better idea of the Chaos element of this, and is probably the standout clip to show off the Jerkster out of the four.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

A box with busboards and a heap of power cables turned up, so I immediately tidied up the power section (shortened cables, heatshrinked, covered the dangerous stuff with a shield), and put the busboards in. And all the modules I didn't have power cables for, previously.

Then I promptly patched it up to get as MANY blinkenlights going as I could! I'm sure you understand 8)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

http://alijamieson.co.uk/2015/05/modula ... he-basics/

Here's a good introduction to the modular synth thing, if this just looks like a Dr Who prop from the 80s to you (my sister's opinion...)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Had a huge amount of fun with this recording. First one I'm really happy with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x45dcozhrfyw9 ... r.mp3?dl=0

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

It's like Pink Floyd crossed with Dr Who, nice!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

alanp wrote:Had a huge amount of fun with this recording. First one I'm really happy with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x45dcozhrfyw9 ... r.mp3?dl=0
Great link to the world of Modular, thanks.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

TradeMe loot turned up :)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

TradeMe loot turned up :)
Is that the old crow or mixer? :)

hellblazer
Squier
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by hellblazer »

Looks like a good time. Plugging an extra cable into the back of my moogerfooger ring mod yesterday turned into a couple of hours of reading up about modular. I fear something terrible is about to happen to my wallet.

mysteriousj
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mysteriousj »

hmmm cashews.