druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Pedal Building Resources

Post by druz15 »

rocklander wrote:I had no idea, but farnell/element14 must have changed their strategy... they now have free shipping on all online orders :shock:

minimum purchase of $10 which is way more than reasonable..

so the next bit is, if ya want small, solid mono jacks (very handy for 1590A builds) the lumberg KLMB 3 is ideal..

they take up about 75% of the same room a switchcraft does.
link for these?
Also where is a good place for 9mm pots, thinking of trying some 1590A builds
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

druz15 wrote: link for these?
http://nz.element14.com/lumberg/klb-3/s ... dp/1217017
druz15 wrote: Also where is a good place for 9mm pots, thinking of trying some 1590A builds
Jaycar: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productResults. ... orm=CAT2#1
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

ralley wrote:
druz15 wrote: link for these?
http://nz.element14.com/lumberg/klb-3/s ... dp/1217017
druz15 wrote: Also where is a good place for 9mm pots, thinking of trying some 1590A builds
Jaycar: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productResults. ... orm=CAT2#1
cheers man, they didn't have the values I wanted, but a good start. Non of the big online electronics sites seem to carry 9mm

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

druz15 wrote:
rocklander wrote: Image

they take up about 75% of the same room a switchcraft does.
link for these?
Also where is a good place for 9mm pots, thinking of trying some 1590A builds
click on the pic for link ;-)

and what ralley said.. the 9mm at jaycar are IME more robust than the ones at RS.. the legs are wider so handle my doofusness better, but they're still WAY more fragile than standard 16 or 24mm ones, so be careful.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

with the misuse of my soldering iron and consequent breakage of the hanlde :oops: :x I looked to ebay for a replacement unit... chinese knock offs abound and I found this one:

NZ$140 delivered, so took a gamble..

results(sorry for the copy and paste from fsb, but figured there may be someone interested here too):

it's defo made to a budget.

the rework station works fine, but the smallest nozzle is slightly askew due to the way it was attached.. doesn't affect performance at all. has a neat feature that if it's in the cradle it doesn't blow.. at least initially.... if ya take it out for the cradle it starts blowing, but doesn't switch off again when back in cradle.. odd.

the iron. it works fine enough.. doesn't have the weight that my other one has and therefore the cable 'feels' heavier than the handle/iron itself which feels a lil 'wrong' .. the tip is plenty fine, and heats up fast. looks like hakko style tips so replacements should be sweet.

it's just not as nice as my other one to use, but I'll prolly make it my primary unit purely cos it has the extra features.
shrank some heatshroink with the rework station and it worked a treat for that.

overall, it's no $400+ weller or hakko unit, but then it's not a $400 price tag. good bang for buck I reckon.

certainly a great starter tool set.
would I buy again? yup. fine for a bloke of my skills.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

chur!

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Nice Rocky. I recently got a $32 soldering iron from JC which I can dial in the wattage. Way better than the $16 one I got from DSE, I love the fine tip. Although I did have it turned up to full and burnt my PCB board in a couple of places.... (I'm still a noob)
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

seems to be differing ideas on soldering. I try to solder by the philosophy of a tech that taught me to do it years ago. he said to have the iron as hot as you can and to touch the components for as little time as possible.. melt the solder, heat the surfaces fast and get out before anything else gets hot. others have different ideas.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Yeah I've read that somewhere. I also read to keep your iron below 25W to avoid damaging your board. I think I will stick to the 2nd until I get a bit better at it.

Worst part about pedal building is waiting for parts to arrive! Still waiting for some to show up right now. Might order my next build parts now so they will get here before this project is over :D
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

SammyD wrote:Might order my next build parts now so they will get here before this project is over :D
do that, and order twice as many as you need... you'll end up with a wee resource to lean on when the mood takes you and if you're missing a particular component then there's a good chance it'll just be a cheapie visit to DSE or jaycar...
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

rocklander wrote:
SammyD wrote:Might order my next build parts now so they will get here before this project is over :D
do that, and order twice as many as you need... you'll end up with a wee resource to lean on when the mood takes you and if you're missing a particular component then there's a good chance it'll just be a cheapie visit to DSE or jaycar...
yeah I've thought of just saving up and doing a massive order from tayda and get a bunch of every value resistor and capacitor you're likely to need and a bunch of switches jacks and pots etc, then just order build specific parts when needed.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Preferred suppliers?

Post by alanp »

Merged into here - *U*

What suppliers do you guys use for small parts like resistors, capacitors, ICs, transistors etc?

I was looking at Mouser's website, until I clicked add to cart (or whatever they call it) and the shipping popped up at the bottom. $1-$200, $39 shipping. It gave the strong impression non-negotiable, I don't know.

Also, are there any NZ vendors for things like 3PDT stomp switches?
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Preferred suppliers?

Post by mr_sooty »

www.jaycar.co.nz mostly. They have 3PDT switches and most little bits and pieces. Only thing is their website doesn't always have pictures of the exact product, so a couple of times I ended up with great big amp style caps when I wanted something for a pedal mod.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/ I've been told about these guys. I haven't ordered from them yet though.

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

Not in New Zealand, but Tayda electronics sells 3pdts ($2.99US) and shipping is usually only a couple of dollars.