Help me identify my Telecaster!

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Help me identify my Telecaster!

Post by robthemac »

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time poster.

I have been lucky enough to acquire an interesting Telecaster over the past month. Unfortunately I don't know much about it, and was wondering if anyone recognized it. I bought it from the Rockshop who were honest in saying that they had no idea what it was, so sold it at a very reasonable price. I didn't go in there looking for s vintage guitar, but it kicked the ass of all the other Teles in the store (even the Custom Shops).

The guys at the Rockshop believe it's a late 1960s Tele body with a early 1980s Bullet neck. As far as they were aware, everything else is original. I've taken it apart, and it certainly has new pots (preventing me from dating it that way). The pickups and pickguard look original. The neck plate has been replaced, and the body has been refinished at some stage (covering where I would expect the serial number in the neck heel to be).

It is a bit of a partscaster, but purchased for how it plays (like butter) and sounds (like Jeff Buckley), not for any historical or investment purposes.

It's a distinctive bit of gear, and I'd really love to hear if anyone has seen this instrument before. I'm trying to put its life story together, but the trail has run cold. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Photos coming as soon as I work out how to downsize them...Image
Last edited by robthemac on Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: Help me identify my Telecaster!

Post by kdawg2a »

Looking forward to the pics. FWIW, the serial number on an old one would have never been written in the neck pocket. Only the neck plate or (if it's real old ) the bridge. Let's see these pics!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

Everything else is original to what? Not much sounds original to anything. Nice if some bits are super old.
Appreciate pics are being sorted. Maybe add a few of the bodies internals and neck pocket.
Also a number of the neck and any identifiers :thumbup:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Apparently the limit is 100kb per image, so apologies for the poor quality.

The trial I have so far is that it was purchased from TradeMe by a collector here in NZ, and was advertised as a 1968 Tele, refinished, with a Bullet neck. This collector sold it to the Rockshop who sold it to me. I'm trying to find out who sold it on TradeMe to hopefully follow the trail further.
Attachments
IMG_20190428_162415.jpg
IMG_20190428_162353.jpg
IMG_20190428_162324.jpg
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

If you know what you're doing I'd pop the neck off and get photos of the neck pocket and the back of the neck. There should be some markings there that will provide more info.

*edit* Sorry just saw the refinish covers the neck pocket!
Last edited by Lyle on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

robthemac wrote:Apparently the limit is 100kb per image, so apologies for the poor quality.
To embed images jump on here to upload your photos https://imgur.com
Then click "Get share links" and choose BBCode and copy it into your post here.
Keeps the mods happy and allows proper photo quality

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I don't care where it comes from or what age it is, I want it :thumbup: that is so nice ! I need a Tele back in my life, just may be a while before I get some cash again.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I don't care where it comes from or what age it is, I want it :thumbup: that is so nice ! I need a Tele back in my life, just may be a while before I get some cash again.
Doesn't sound half-bad either. This is straight through Bias FX2
Attachments
Brothers In Arms.mp3
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 214 times

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

Can you pop the pickguard off and show a pic of the routing? I know the collector who had the guitar before and I've played the guitar also. I can get hold of him and see if he can shed some more light on it.
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

If it plays good and sounds good, then it is good. Might not be more to it than that!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

smallface wrote:Can you pop the pickguard off and show a pic of the routing? I know the collector who had the guitar before and I've played the guitar also. I can get hold of him and see if he can shed some more light on it.
Thanks, thought someone might recognize it! I've tried to contact him. Through a mutual friend, but haven't heard back yet.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote:If it plays good and sounds good, then it is good. Might not be more to it than that!

I could be told it's a 2005 Aria and that wouldn't change the fact that it plays and sounds great, and my money would still be well spent for the joy it has brought me. But I would like to know its story!

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I reckon those old bullet parts were X US 70s Fender parts shipped to japan
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.