1964 FB III meets Router

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

1964 FB III meets Router

Post by GrantB »

But before I am burnt at the stake by the AVH's (look it up http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/a-v-h- ... ble.98655/) there's a story.

This is an amazing guitar. It feels great, is balanced and best of all, it has great acoustic tone. The neck pickup is sublime, but it's bridge partner was not. So, I took a great sounding Shaw, added a ThroBak A5 unoriented magnet and some Stephens Design pole pieces and removed wood! Got a nice nickel ring for it and bam!

The guitar had already been routed for buckers when I got it, and was black rattle can spray. So it was far from an original guitar. Now it is a fantastic guitar! Nil regrets.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: 1964 FB III meets Router

Post by jeremyb »

Looks awesome Grant!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

lovely colour :) poly?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Nitro - Mr Hamilton's work!

Steve, you might interested....I got the Shaw stock standard at 8.03K, changed the magnet and got 8.26k. Nice little boost.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Very nice result !

Note: The pickup DC resistance is not effected by the magnet, I expect it was a temperature change that gave you the differing values.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Blimey, that is one hell of a nice Epiphone. I want it!
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Very nice result !

Note: The pickup DC resistance is not effected by the magnet, I expect it was a temperature change that gave you the differing values.
That i didn’t know. I’ve done the same with TTops to make them hotter (well, I thought that until now) - replace old short magnet with new long magnet and found that the sound is indeed brighter, and hotter/ read higher. Clearly I’m doing something weird to get that result. So what makes the reading go up - warmer temp or colder? BTW i changed these magnets within 30 Seconds of each other and barely touched the coils.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

Nice work Grant, I really like that!!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

God, I love the look of Firebirds and red just reminds me of the Roxy Music Custom one. Congrats.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Fukin hell Grant , your awesome !
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Noooice!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Very nice result !

That i didn’t know. I’ve done the same with TTops to make them hotter (well, I thought that until now) - replace old short magnet with new long magnet and found that the sound is indeed brighter, and hotter/ read higher. Clearly I’m doing something weird to get that result. So what makes the reading go up - warmer temp or colder? BTW i changed these magnets within 30 Seconds of each other and barely touched the coils.
Your premise that the pickup sounds hotter is correct if the new magnet is stronger. It is the increase in magnetic field that increases the milli Volts that the pickup outputs to the amp. You can achieve that by more windings too which would increase the DC resistance. It is the latter you are measuring and without adding or reducing the number of wire turns it should be fairly constant. There was a reasonably easy read on Reverb recently which goes into pickup basics... Have a read of that and you will realise that what you are doing is one way of changing a pickup's behaviour, and obviously to your ear's liking.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

Damn, what a beauty, look at that bridge! haha

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

That looks great Grant!

Just out of interest, what was behind the reason you didn't paint it yourself? You're a very competent painter, was it just a lack of time? Or did this guitar need special attention to the paint job?

before you actually purchased the guitar had you planned out everything that you wanted to do to the guitar? Or did it take a while to make a decision?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Very cool yes