1957 Les Paul Standard

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: 1957 Les Paul Standard

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Thats pretty spesh!
Shwing , That'd give a dog a bone !
So this palm tree you're living under has internets? 8)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Slowy wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Thats pretty spesh!
Shwing , That'd give a dog a bone !
So this palm tree you're living under has internets? 8)
It's more of a bush

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

This from the LP Forum thread...from Eric Earnest, a vintage dealer in the USA.

Too bizarre to believe...it found me.

My wife works with a lady who was helping an elderly lady move. She saw the guitar in the floor and knew it was a VERY desirable guitar. She immediately texted my wife, who in turn, texted me.

Two days later I got a text with a photo...we asked if we could see it and the lady gave us the address....needless to say....it was within walking distance of our house.

After a few days later we went to see it.

As I opened the case and took the guitar out, directly under the guitar was a newspaper article about my guitar shop from 1994....her father had laminated it in plastic....an entire newspaper PAGE!

The guitar had never left the house, never been anywhere. The elderly lady? She had never worked, never drove, never married, never lived anywhere else.

I lived on this the same road when I was four....my best friend in the second grade lived ACROSS the street from her.

It's truly an "under the bed" guitar.

Most of the photos I took were "as found." It's one of the few chances to see EXACTLY what a 50's Les Paul looked like as near new as possible.

No bill of sale....we are trying to find in the Gibson ledgers where it was purchased. I would love to know if it was Alan Taylor Music or Johnson's Music Studio, here in Columbia.

There were numerous spine tingling things in this deal....bizarre, really.

(This is the Reader's Digest version of the story!)
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I often nip into Wastebusters on the off-chance of a similar find. :-)

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

It does remind me a little of picking up the '60 335 in Auckland...dealing with the widow of the owner. Freaky stuff.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:It does remind me a little of picking up the '60 335 in Auckland...dealing with the widow of the owner. Freaky stuff.
As far as how the two guitars fared however, that's where the similarities end.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote:
GrantB wrote:It does remind me a little of picking up the '60 335 in Auckland...dealing with the widow of the owner. Freaky stuff.
Yes, mine was ridden hard and put away wet.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Yes, mine was ridden hard and put away wet.
What? The guitar or the widow of the owner?

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

hell awaits molly
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Such a great story, one of those types of things we all dream about, whether its a guitar, classic car or bike etc...
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

The old lady didn't get out much, and may not have had any idea of market value. The guitar was discovered by the buyer's wife, so old lady may not have thought about getting a valuation. How much did they tell you they paid the old lady?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

She was looked after very well indeed. And not that I doubt my friend, news of this sort gets around and it was confirmed by someone else that she indeed got a fair price.

candiman
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by candiman »

Wow, beautiful guitar, awesome story and great to hear it was a fair transaction.

I have been inspired to check under all of the beds in the house and indeed also found a number of guitars. Unfortunately further investigation indicates they are currently worth slightly less than what I paid for them. Looks like I just need to hang on to them for another 60 years and then cash in big time.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Great to see that one here......thanks Grant.
And with all the tags 8)
Doin' that scrapyard thing.