Gibson Trini Lopez vs Gibson Dave Grohl Es 335

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by thegreengod »

Anyone here can comment mainly on the difference in sound besides the obvious aesthetic differences? The DG model looks interesting. Any owners of that particular model here or of an original Trini Lopez who can share their thoughts/pics/stories. :thumbup:
And then everyone said, "Jabroni!"

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Grant has got one, or had one. Wicked looking guitars

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Re:

Post by thegreengod »

AiRdAd wrote:Grant has got one, or had one. Wicked looking guitars
Very great looking guitars. Ive always liked the odd ball guitars visually and sonically you get a different texture of sounds from them.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Gibson Trini Lopez vs Gibson Dave Grohl Es 335

Post by GrantB »

I had a vintage Trini for a long time. The DG has hot pickups and a big neck. And of course a stop tail. Nice guitars. The originals has a trapeze. Big sound difference.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I had a vintage Trini for a long time. The DG has hot pickups and a big neck. And of course a stop tail. Nice guitars. The originals has a trapeze. Big sound difference.
Nice, what was the main difference you notice between that and lets say a gibson es 335 Unique? may I ask why you dont have it anymore I assume you dont as you mention HAD? Was their something you didn't like about it? I played a DG model and it feels good very balanced and hot pickups as for the neck i feel its big but i have nothing to compare to except my '55 Les Paul jr. :D

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Main difference are trapeze tone vs stop tail (if you're comparing old or RI Trini vs DG). That's a major consideration. The trapeze has an airier, less sustained tone whereas the stop tail 335 will have more sustain and a deeper more solid sound. Usually.

The DG is really a 335 with BB's in it. The headstock might influence the tone a bit, but fundamentally you could play a large necked 335 today and the DG will sound similar enough to make a call.

I sold my old Trini (1967) because it had a very narrow nut, making it difficult to play. That was its only flaw though...it sounded fantastic.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

thegreengod
Stagg
Stagg

Post by thegreengod »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Main difference are trapeze tone vs stop tail (if you're comparing old or RI Trini vs DG). That's a major consideration. The trapeze has an airier, less sustained tone whereas the stop tail 335 will have more sustain and a deeper more solid sound. Usually.

The DG is really a 335 with BB's in it. The headstock might influence the tone a bit, but fundamentally you could play a large necked 335 today and the DG will sound similar enough to make a call.

I sold my old Trini (1967) because it had a very narrow nut, making it difficult to play. That was its only flaw though...it sounded fantastic.

Thanks Unique for the comparison. I did notice there wasnt much difference in comparison to a dot neck 335. The DG trini did look cool in metallic gold though.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

If you are in the market for a hollow Gibson, the new Memphis lines, by all accounts, look to be offering excellent built and pretty good prices. Memphis vs Nashville was always the battle cry for those with either...with Nashville usually winning on the quality side. But I think that has changed.

Hot_Grits may have a view?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

The Dave Grohl one has DG written on it, which stands for Dave Grohl, so it's beta. And it's blue.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

Or gold.