Need some PAFs?

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Need some PAFs?

Post by GrantB »

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt ... ost2631481

Wow, 10k. There are others out there for more. Of course, asking price and selling price are different numbers, but still, is means even at 80% asking price, 4k a piece. USD. A new high?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Need some PAFs?

Post by robnobcorncob »

Is he really trying to sell or is it more of a 'Look what I've got that you don't have' ?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I'm sure Mark would like to sell them...it's what he does. But yeah, maybe just a little bit of "nah nah ni nah nah"
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Does that fit in with the cost of the complete guitar? Eg. If the complete guitar goes for $x, then the pickups must be worth this much?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Weren't the original PAFs as variable as an 80's Les Paul? So you could actually spend $8k US on some average pickups?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

*UNIQUE* wrote:http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt ... ost2631481

Wow, 10k. There are others out there for more. Of course, asking price and selling price are different numbers, but still, is means even at 80% asking price, 4k a piece. USD. A new high?
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a set of emg 81/85's and put them in your guitar? They look heaps better and sound way better?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I love how EMG's look like a block of ice-cream tub plastic.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

So these are unopened but he knows they're double whites?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I love how EMG's look like a block of ice-cream tub plastic.
Or a genuine soap bar.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

slowfingers wrote:So these are unopened but he knows they're double whites?
Exactly what I thought, perhaps if you shine a torch in the gaps you can see the bobbin colour?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

One can ascertain the colour by careful removal of the base screws, and then shine a light in there. My pair looks to be 1 x Zebra, 1 x black.

Toan is in the bobbin colour you know?!

In slight seriousness, PAF's are no longer just about tone...although they remain "the" benchmark for humbuckers.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Certainly makes Throbaks at US$480 a pair seem like the ultimate bargain.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

slowfingers wrote:Certainly makes Throbaks at US$480 a pair seem like the ultimate bargain.
They're $540 USD now...and I still agree, they are good value because they do what the box says. There are a lot of claims made by PAF replica makers that just don't stack when you hear them. Throbaks deliver.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

and you can buy a couple R9's to put them in for US10K.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

White bobbin PAFs cost the most and Mark has sold them before over the years at US$10k......seems to be the magic number for those ones, whereas around $4-5k is the norm now for double blacks with zebras somewhere inbetween the two..
He's one of the more reputable dealers in the States and if he says they're the bees knees they would be that......but you wouldn't see me buying a set :wink:
Doin' that scrapyard thing.