SG from HECK

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: SG from HECK

Post by jeremyb »

Wow! Great work Grant!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Great stuff, I can't wait to see the neck joint at the rear. That looked like it would be a major mission to fix that. Also, what did you use the maple veneer for? And the what needed drum sanding and bending?

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

That looks WONDERFUL! :D
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Cheers guys - playing it tonight. I imagined what life might be like in prison should someone fall into it while it was on the stand, breaking it.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

How did it go? Great to see such a fine instrument taken care of and back in playing action again.

I can only imagine how bright and resonate that thing is!
Make Music Great Again

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Amazing work Grant, '60s SGs are phenomenal!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Hey Clanger...went very well thanks. The sounds were as you say bright and chimey, in a sort of reedy way. The Bigsby adds an interesting tonal signature too. Very resonant.

The bridge pickup is where the action happens, but the inbetweensound is a very convincing funk/spank thang.

Very very happy. Only thing is the action is still too low for me so will raise that up slightly.

Yay for a NOGD
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

SG from HECK

Post by AiRdAd »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Cheers guys - playing it tonight. I imagined what life might be like in prison should someone fall into it while it was on the stand, breaking it.
if i was you, i wouldn't let me touch it without getting my creditcard details!!!!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Just flick them through before the Tronfest Danny :)

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Godawful.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

For Danny.

The neck looks clean with only the dowel showing where there was once screws. Also, the dark piece above the half moon heel gives away the fact that it was once in many pieces there.

The headstock is also clean but under strong light you can see the scars of the battle.
Attachments
Photo 24-02-15 8 11 44 am.jpg
Photo 24-02-15 8 11 52 am.jpg
Photo 24-02-15 8 11 55 am.jpg
Photo 24-02-15 8 12 00 am.jpg

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I love the stories that attach to so many of your guitars, Unique. I realise you are an extremely busy man but I reckon there's a great book in your guitar collection. Not just the Fred Gretsch's but things like this and the 335 where so much of you has gone into them. It's a labour of love and I'm sure the wider guitar community would love to share it with you.

Right. There's your retirement sorted......
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

And if you need someone to write it, I'm your guy. Writing is kinda my job, after all. I'll even let you keep 100% of the royalities in exchange for a certain black Gretsch. [/dreaming] :D

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

slowfingers wrote:I love the stories that attach to so many of your guitars, Unique. I realise you are an extremely busy man but I reckon there's a great book in your guitar collection. Not just the Fred Gretsch's but things like this and the 335 where so much of you has gone into them. It's a labour of love and I'm sure the wider guitar community would love to share it with you.

Right. There's your retirement sorted......
Thanks slowy...it certainly is a labour of love. This particular guitar I really felt I had bitten off my than I could handle. It seemed determined to teach me a lesson or two - and it did.

I now realise the economics of these jobs are often false. About a year after I got this broken piece, a 100% original piece came up on eBay with more desirable features. I made myself not enter a final bid and it sold for only a few thousand more than this one cost. With the time and money I'd thrown at this, I shoulda got that one, and sold this off at cost. BUT, I didn't. This SG and the red Firebird...proper f*ck ups in terms of my assessment and purchase. Notwithstanding the great results in both cases, I am now far more considered in my purchases of old gear.

It is a great feeling playing something you've rebuilt...and I'm not precious about playing this one live like I am with some of my pieces.

The Matchstick SG will be at the GearFest!

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Dano_NZ »

Economics aside, you've saved this guitar. Fricken awesome.