SG from HECK

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: SG from HECK

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:I dont understand how you worked around the gibson name and logo. I presume they are original.
part of the 'routing off the face' presumably. Or John Travolta was involved.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

BG wrote:
You're one of those wierd monks eh... seriously, hide glue has much to recommend it. It smells funny. Anything I missed?
It is quite a nice snack.

But the biggest challenge is getting everything like this aligned, clamped, adjusted, reclamped in 20 seconds. That's where the martyrdom comes in as using aliphatic would be so much easier.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote:I dont understand how you worked around the gibson name and logo. I presume they are original.
I shouldn't have hurried my post - I routed off half the face....leaving the remaining original holly around the logo's. They are set into a black epoxy for scraping around later on.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

They are set into a black epoxy for scraping around later on.
Ahh, Cool. So you thought of the solution yourself or is this a well known approach for classic guitars?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

No, it's Gibson's idea - this guitar is original in this regard. The logos are set into the holly, the black goop pushed in around the logos and flattened off, then after the whole front is sprayed black one goes through carefully with a knife and scrapes the lacquer off the logo. Any slight feck up and your back is covered by the epoxy. Here's some other web info....

http://notrightinthehead.net/2012/02/09 ... ock-inlay/

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

FunkUncle wrote:
BG wrote:
You're one of those wierd monks eh... seriously, hide glue has much to recommend it. It smells funny. Anything I missed?
It is quite a nice snack.

But the biggest challenge is getting everything like this aligned, clamped, adjusted, reclamped in 20 seconds. That's where the martyrdom comes in as using aliphatic would be so much easier.
of course.

You hate yourself, and you want to hurt.

I know, but there are limits.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Just replace the word martyr with whiner...whinerdom?

One of the follow ons from this project is fixing the case...lots of steam-bent thin wood around the head end. Seems a waste of time but it's the fitted yellow lined original.

Thanks to Adrian and Glyn on this project so far for advice and perspectives.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Update time very soon!!!!
Attachments
SG update.jpg

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Very exciting!!!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
FunkUncle wrote:
Estimated time - 1 month.
Hmmm...only 1 year out!

Target

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Result

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Very good. That Bigsby is the biz. I wouldn't know what to do with it but now I want one with a Bigsby!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Better photos will follow.
Attachments
Result SG2.JPG

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

What a journey...

I need to thank Mr Glyn for the maple veneer...and especially Adrian, for the skilled use of his drum sander and bending gear! Couldn't have got that last bit done without your help.

After I got the headstock finally laminated properly, I proceeded to irreparably damage the pearl Gibson inlay. So that had to come out and I had to start over with a fresh one from Germany. I swear, this guitar has made me work every step of the way.

During this time I helped out a few friends with their own guitar disasters and things just got further behind. In the end it felt like this guitar was just a side show...there was no love left.

However, having last night finished the lacquer and early today setting it up, I am feeling it strongly! It's like I have a NGD...and I've already had it for 2 years.

It feels incredible. The neck and the frets are just perfect and the unplugged tone loud and woody. Plugged in it is pure rock n roll. Quite hot and raunchy with plenty of chime. Just fantastic.

I'll do some better shots in the next few weeks.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Better photos will follow.
I don't understand what all the fuss was about. It's not broken at all!

:shifty:
Well done U.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.