hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: Wellington Gearfest - 12pm, Sunday 18th October 2015, Goodtimes Petone

Post by hamo »

Polar Bear wrote:Thanks for the day out, nice to abuse all your ears with the AC30 and Holden off the Hotplate for a day.

That Plexi...
I was doing well with the ear plugs, but packing down while people were taking turns on the plexi and your AC undid all the good work. Funny thing, I never want to listen to music in the car after a gearfest - ears are always a bit tender...
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Also: Flint GAS. Damn.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Yikes, gearfests are like crack for the GAS afflicted, aren't they? I came away wanting:

- an old acoustic. Surprisingly, thanks to Ben, this is top of the list. That slide guitar was crazy cool...
- Silverpistol Rogue. Don't think you'll be getting this one back Toany!
- an AC30. Luckily, I have that covered. :wink: I have to say, I really liked the sound of Toany's speakers... dammit
- another Les Paul. Loved Sizzlingbadger's Classic, made me remember that these really are my favourite guitars
- a flying V. Scooter's was first one I've ever played, and it was not at all what I expected. Much heavier (in a good way) and better balanced
- a Fender amp. Was already GASing for one, but Paul's Deville did nothing to change my mind. Kicking myself for not trying the Jnr...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

It must be said that Paul's rig, while perhaps not having quite the vintage WOW factor, sounded completely excellent. And he's got serious tone in the fingers.

Darth, buy this so I don't : https://reverb.com/item/939547-gibson-j ... ginal-case

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

bbrunskill wrote:It must be said that Paul's rig, while perhaps not having quite the vintage WOW factor, sounded completely excellent. And he's got serious tone in the fingers.

Yeah totally, when he ripped out "Pride and Joy" it all made sense :thumbup:

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

bbrunskill wrote:It must be said that Paul's rig, while perhaps not having quite the vintage WOW factor, sounded completely excellent. And he's got serious tone in the fingers.

Darth, buy this so I don't : https://reverb.com/item/939547-gibson-j ... ginal-case
Yep, when he stepped up to the plate there were many nods of approval. His rig was clearly built around supporting his playing and it everything seemed to do exactly what he needed it to. Contrasts with mine that sometimes can be my changing the playing styling to get the most out the rig.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

bbrunskill wrote: Darth, buy this so I don't : https://reverb.com/item/939547-gibson-j ... ginal-case
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about... 8)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

TmcB wrote:

Yep, when he stepped up to the plate there were many nods of approval. His rig was clearly built around supporting his playing and it everything seemed to do exactly what he needed it to. Contrasts with mine that sometimes can be my changing the playing styling to get the most out the rig.
Agreed. His approach made real sense to me, get something with dollops of clean headroom and then pedal it up for dirt. Really gave me pause for thought. 8)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I played thru our other guitarists rig on saturday night, completely threw me, you really do personalise these things to the max, you don't notice so much until you try someone elses!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Yikes, gearfests are like crack for the GAS afflicted, aren't they?
Yes. Yes, they are... :crazy:

I came away wanting to consolidate my gear down to three or four guitars and a Mk.V.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

I'm quite chuffed with those comments guys :)

I came away feeling like I didn't show it off enough. It was hard with that plexi sitting next to me :lol:

But I'm glad the concept made sense. Start with a great clean and build from it. I'll never achieve the drive an old plexi can, but I can get fairly close as well as everything in between. As Tony said, it's adaptable to save me having to change the gear around to get something specific (even though I seem to constantly accumulate stuff? blame the forum).

I have to be honest though... had I been doing originals I think things would be different. I'm a Marshall/Les Paul guy at heart and didn't get into the tweedy strat stuff till late.

We'll have to have another one soon so you can all have a proper go :thumbup:
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Les_Paul86 wrote:I'm quite chuffed with those comments guys :)

I came away feeling like I didn't show it off enough. It was hard with that plexi sitting next to me :lol:

But I'm glad the concept made sense. Start with a great clean and build from it. I'll never achieve the drive an old plexi can, but I can get fairly close as well as everything in between. As Tony said, it's adaptable to save me having to change the gear around to get something specific (even though I seem to constantly accumulate stuff? blame the forum).

I have to be honest though... had I been doing originals I think things would be different. I'm a Marshall/Les Paul guy at heart and didn't get into the tweedy strat stuff till late.

We'll have to have another one soon so you can all have a proper go :thumbup:
Much easier to change pedals than amps! The thing that got me was how nice the clean sounded on that DeVille. It had that real quality aspect that I'm always looking for. I'd kind of made up my mind that amp overdrive was the way I was going to go from now on, but you've got me second guessing myself now dammit! :lol: :roll:

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Great photos boys! Thanks for posting :mrgreen:
Greenstone Amplifiers

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

hamo wrote:
Much easier to change pedals than amps! The thing that got me was how nice the clean sounded on that DeVille. It had that real quality aspect that I'm always looking for. I'd kind of made up my mind that amp overdrive was the way I was going to go from now on, but you've got me second guessing myself now dammit! :lol: :roll:
The Deville clean was very nice. I was reminded that the guy from the Killers and Johnny Buckland from Coldplay both use Devilles and it make sense why, when they could have any amp in the world, but they like that big clean and the headroom so they can chuck tons of pedals in front of it. I guess in a touring sense as well they hard to kill and if you do destroy one, you can hire or buy a replacement easily . . .

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

bbrunskill wrote:
hamo wrote:
The Deville clean was very nice. I was reminded that the guy from the Killers and Johnny Buckland from Coldplay both use Devilles and it make sense why, when they could have any amp in the world, but they like that big clean and the headroom so they can chuck tons of pedals in front of it. I guess in a touring sense as well they hard to kill and if you do destroy one, you can hire or buy a replacement easily . . .
They pop up on TM a fair bit for around $1000 or under? Best pedal slut amp i've found so far and has a loop too.
They are bloody heavy though and I think I would settle for a 2x12. Even though it's a 4x10 it's very directional with the sound at gigs. Tends to beam straight out rather than disburse nicely.
They're also f**king loud! I should have given it some to see if it could compete with Tod's AC30. It's 60w of pure clean headroom so you'll need an attenuator. I cheat... :-) as I'm not using the loop currently I have a passive volume control (like the juice box) that I put into the loop. That then acts like a master volume. I try not to use it if I can though, I find it takes the "pizazz" from the sound.

There are plenty of similar amp though that sound just as good. The HRD, Reverd and twin are all similar. The Blues Jnr is basically a baby version and also take pedals well. 15w and plenty loud enough gigs too.
The best things in life are actually really expensive!