Tron V Gearfest August 2011

Info about upcoming gearfests etc

Moderator: Capt. Black

Tron V Gearfest 13th August 2011

Yes, 13th is all good.
71%
No, I have booked out every weekend in August to work on my abs, pecs and glutes.
29%

Total votes: 21

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Tron V Gearfest August 2011

Post by Tonemaker »

Well that was fun... Lots of awesome gear as usual... The Marshall with the Kelly Mod was wow......The other Marshall Mod sounded very good as well, The Mako n VHT very nice... The Gibson Explorer is amazing... Really liking Willows Custom made gat with the SD JB... I like that pickup...Cant remember the amp that Unique had, the small amp Sounded great.... Have to say The Splawn Hot Rod.... hmmmm I wish I would have spent some time playing it... Maybe next time.. The clean was very close to what I like and how I have my amp set. Rockys Bassman took me by surprise as well.. Well now to put up pics.. I have reduced them to 600 x 800 but I have higher quality if anyone is interested in one...

Ok it says the photo is too big... hmmmm any advice on what size to use?
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Load them to a host site like imageshack or photobucket? then they can be better quality and don't load down this server etc

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Had a great time today... cheers to all involved, where are the pics?
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/nzguitars/

I put up 40 pics... what a pain that was...
Last edited by Tonemaker on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

fun day again all.. thanks muchness to Darcy and *UNIQUE* for hosting.. and to all who came.. o-fa-oarsum
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Higainers marshall wall of awesomeness (with the mako for good measure)....seriously you would be hard pressed to find better sounding amps than these

the blackstar stack of doom

someone needs a pedal train

A surprise visitor ..gelato and his Rig and that girl (people not included in pic)

Ben in the house

adrian with a certain forumites work in progress

Rocky's work horses...one day i'll drag myself out of the loud room try try these

for me this was the best fest yet because I had a mission to try and get my podxt tweaked to be usable live and I think I got there after getting a sound that was pretty close to higainers cali marshall...

thanks to darcy for setting this up and to all those attendees...none of whom I spoke to :lol: :lol: .....what can I say i'm shy :wink:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Cool gears. Shame no actual people showed up.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Lots of awesome gear :shock: And I see that vintage Tele made it... Anyone buy it? :lol:
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Jenesis wrote:Cool gears. Shame no actual people showed up.
we were all outside playing in the once in a million years snow :lol: :lol:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Sweet gearfest. Cool to meet some forumites. Lots of cool gear present too, and good noise happening.

Highlights:
Impromptu harmonica jam by Darcy
Bender's surf green amp - looks super cool
Ryan's brothel creepers
*UNIQUE*'s LP with proper PAFs through my Deluxe Reverb - sounded awesome
Ash's surprise delivery of my Strat 8)

Lowlights:
My rubbish playing skills! :lol:

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Another great fest :D

Mucho thanks to Darcy & Unique 8)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Looks like a good day :) Tell me more about those modded Marshalls :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

BG wrote:Looks like a good day Tell me more about those modded Marshalls
Sure.

The top amp is a 1976 100W JMP which has the APC mod by Dave Friedman.
This mod was done for A Perfect Circle guitarist Billy Howerdal about ten years ago & now Dave Friedman offers this mod or the complete amp called Naked.
Its basically a hybrid of a modified Naylor SuperDrive 60 preamp with a 100W JMP Marshall power section.
Excells in drop tunings & is very punchy with a tight bottom end.
Footswitchable clean & dirty channels plus effects loop.

Bottom amp.

1982 JCM 800 50W Cali mod Marshall.
Covers the 80's Sunset Strip metal stuff....Dokken Ratt etc.
The two gain pots each have a switch below them. These are bright switches that allow you to select two different cap values & the centre position is no bright cap.
Below the master vol is the Saturation switch. When switched to the left position is extreme clipping of the signal, smoother more compressed sound. The centre position is no clipping & the right position is rawer sounding & less compressed.
When the saturation switch is engaged it knocks the volume down considerably...PERFECT for home jamming. I tried to demonstrate this to Matman.
Feel switch for spongy or tight.
Depth control, like your Presence but for bass frequencies.
Hair switch affects the high end making it more agressive & in your face.

A ton of options as you can see but to get it back to a stock Marshall, put all the mini switches to the centre 8)

Park01
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Park01 »

Hi all, first post - Thanks for welcoming me into the gearfest (I had the 65 soho). Man there was great gear there, unique's 7w greenstone sounded unreal, and that Splawn sounded awesome. Thanks to Ash for being to play all your guitars - the Heilo was very cool. Sorry I didn't stay and catch up with everyone at the end, had to run. After hearing all those different guitars I now want, I mean need an LP, SG and 335.. and tele.. and lovepedal vibe.. and maestro pedal... :) Man these gearfests could get costly! Look forward to the next gearfest, hopefully I'll have some new toys:)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Thanks again to Darcy for organising this one and both he and Grant for being such great hosts. It got loud pretty quick so I had ear-plugs in and out for most of the afternoon so tone appreciation got a bit hard :mrgreen: That being said there were some great sounds to be heard there.

I had a brief play through Darcy's Top Hat which seems like a lovely, versatile amp. Then at the end when most of the gear was packed away I had a wee noodle on Annaleisa. That is one superb guitar. She has a lovely feel and sounded great unplugged. Everything I love about the idea of a 335 despite being fairly different in construction.

Open-Coil's (another Hamish) Esquire and Deluxe Reverb re-issue is a cool combo (although I can't quite get my head around the forward switch position on the esquire). I really enjoyed some of your playing too bro- old-school down to the ground.

Unique's gear was awesome as usual. I'm always torn as to whether to play them or not- I've got pretty hard-out GAS for a couple as it is without fueling it further. The white SG absolutely rules and there was another SG with a Vibrola (?) that looked pretty killer, not to mention the Gold-top LP. Sigh. I did play the 70s Tele and if I had the sort of money it's worth I'd have bought it there and then. The neck pickup tone was just perfect (even thought the bridge was a bit on the bright side for me). Great old beat-up vibe to it too without feeling "relic'd"

Ash had brought along a selection of great guitars as well as some pretty neat looking veneered bodies. The "Katy Perry" plus my green amp and pink Malekko verb pedal make a pretty convincing matched set (despite being so utterly wrong). That guitar disturbs me (in that I both love it and hate it). Stuu made it sing through his rig though. The refinish of Grant's Tele and white SG are nothing short of stunning. I'd love to get the two of them to finish and relic a guitar for me some day.

Ryan had a great selection of OD pedals which I had a fairly extensive play with. The Catalinbread pedals have always been impressive but the new DLS is a real improvement over the old one. I also really liked the new Voxy one (CB30) although it's probably a bit too scooped for my liking. I absolutely loved the Jetter ones. The Helium is nice and clear with a really even frequency response and a smooth, slightly compressed character and the Red stage is a bit more aggressive. They just sound wicked! The new Mini Modtone pedals look super cute too.

Thanks again everyone who made it- cool to see you all again. 8)