mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Wellington gearfest: Sunday 10 April

Post by mr_sooty »

Frey wrote: I've been a bit down on myself because I haven't been playing out at all really save for some brief open mic appearances. Also my chops aren't really up to much because I haven't had my acoustic for the 3 months I've been here so my hands are really weak.
Your playing isn't about chops, it's about note selection and dynamic sensitivity, so I wouldn't worry about your chops too much.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

mr_sooty wrote:I was surprisingly impressed by his Metal Muff, real ballsy tone,
i forgot tp say at the time, most of that ballsy oomph actually comes from the Gunn (even thoughg its running clean) i've tried my board through a few different amps (mainly solidstate) and it sounds real thin, but put it in the gunn (ib...) and you feel it
bbrunskill wrote:Ironbird's guitar playing has come a super long way. Last time I heard him play was probably two years ago and he was (from memory) basically jamming power chords and the old metal riff. Now he's moving around the fretboard with ease and playing some very cool stuff.
Vince wrote:I was also very impressed with the way IronBird's playing has always improved. Mind you, I'd only heard him that one time several gearfests ago, so perhaps he was just having a bad day and he's always been that good. He can really pull out an amazing range of sounds, many surprising, most awesome.
cheers guys, i think awaiting and recovering from surgery helped alot there, as that was about all i done was play, and also starting to gig has helped alot too
hamo wrote:. Ironbird's Gunn kinda made it a bit tricky to hear anything... :oops:
im sure thats the quietest its been at a 'fest (it was only on about 2 :mrgreen: )

cheers everyone for a great day,
yeah that solidstate amp had great tones, and that orange sounded good too, but the looks....., Lawrence's guitars are awesome, alot smaller in real life than they look in the pics. really liked that one i played (the one with the flat fretboard (i like that) and the Kahler hybrid (first time i've played a Kahler, love them, now you can really shove your floyds... :lol: the feel of the kahler was so soft yet stable, and i could palm mute heavily without putting it out, if i can get the kahler copy on my pointy to feel anything close to that i'll be happy)
and some nice playing too Lawrence, very versatile from jazzy to rocky, and i think you could pull of some mean metal riffage too :D
and as others have said, awesome playing Frey (i didnt realise you where a young fulla :oops: :lol: ) you and Vince need to jam together more, your styles go real well together
and cheers to Hamo for the new toy, now i just have to work out how to use the pocket pod (nooooooooooo i got a line6 :oops: :lol: )
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Frey wrote:I just told Vince to start playing. I couldn't really figure out what was going on other than the key, so just went with it. I think the chordal and rhythmic nature of Vinces playing goes well with my floaty, vague, not particularly tied down rhythmically playing.
The beauty of jamming with Vince is his versatility. He just seems to be able to really anchor any sort of tune, makes it easy to play something that sounds "right". And on an acoustic bass too! :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

hamo wrote:
Frey wrote:I just told Vince to start playing. I couldn't really figure out what was going on other than the key, so just went with it. I think the chordal and rhythmic nature of Vinces playing goes well with my floaty, vague, not particularly tied down rhythmically playing.
The beauty of jamming with Vince is his versatility. He just seems to be able to really anchor any sort of tune, makes it easy to play something that sounds "right". And on an acoustic bass too! :D
yeah i really like Vinces approach/style, very cool, i was surprised that the bass still sounded clean running through the metal muff though :shock:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

And after seeing all the Steinberger bits on Lawrence's guitars I'm starting to worry - I think BG might be onto something... :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

Ironbird13 wrote:really liked that one i played (the one with the flat fretboard (i like that) and the Kahler hybrid (first time i've played a Kahler,
just been looking through Lawrences build threads, this was no.7 wasn't it? didnt realise it was a full hollow body ( i thought it was just holowed out up the top :oops: ) probably explianed the feedback, but again niice guitars Lawrence 8)

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Hey, thanks for all the feedback (ha ha) on my playing. :) Really appreciate it.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Ironbird13 wrote: first time i've played a Kahler, love them, now you can really shove your floyds... :lol: the feel of the kahler was so soft yet stable, and i could palm mute heavily without putting it out
They're much easier to tune too. I really don't know why the Floyds dominated the 80's/90's tremolo scene so much when there were Kahler's available. The Kahler is an infinitely better design in my opinion.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

Vince wrote:Hey, thanks for all the feedback (ha ha) on my playing. :) Really appreciate it.
here ya go...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Ironbird13 wrote:
here ya go...
Cheers. :lol:
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

HI Again
Thabnks to everyone who came..and those who where their in spirit.

Thanks to all the positive comments about my guitars and playing...

The Hilites (great band that :D ) for me were:

Alans little fender clone...sounded fantastic
Marks solid state build. I liked this a lot...reminded me of the original sansamp.
Bens delay tricks.....very Edgy
Scotts straight ahead Les Paul/Orange set up - very fat!
Iron birds...well everything (perhaps except the voume :wink: ) loved the POG

The other fendery builds were cool...as was Freys playing!!

If Ive left out something cool its cos there was just so much cool......
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

mr_sooty wrote:Those photo's make it look like I did nothing. I did play a bit.
they make me look fat :cry:
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Hey guys, Scott here. Was great to go to my first gearfest. I didn't really know what to expect, but it was great to hear some of your effects and guitars in action rather than reading about it on a website or some crappy youtube recording etc. I loved the tremelo effects and the hog. Really envious of some of the jazzy playing going on too! Some of the cleans or clean with slight grit tones coming out here and there were fantastic. Thanks for the day!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Scooter13 wrote:Hey guys, Scott here. Was great to go to my first gearfest. I didn't really know what to expect, but it was great to hear some of your effects and guitars in action rather than reading about it on a website or some crappy youtube recording etc. I loved the tremelo effects and the hog. Really envious of some of the jazzy playing going on too! Some of the cleans or clean with slight grit tones coming out here and there were fantastic. Thanks for the day!
it was great meeting you. :D

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

tekhammer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by tekhammer »

Sorry I missed it, but it's probably for the best if Ironbird was there. Both of us might have been too metal for everyone else. :mrgreen:

So what was the venue like? Satisfactory? Likely to be a regular thing?