All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

It seems like every second Strat on TradeMe has a crack somewhere around the neck heel. Unfortunately, sellers very rarely put up detailed photos, let alone take the neck off to see if the crack extends through to the body.

Logic tells me that a crack in the lacquer is something purely cosmetic and shouldn't impact on tone, tuning or structural stability. I would suspect the same of a small crack that extends into the wood of the body. Any crack would suggest to me that the instrument has had a bit of a hard life.

What experience do you guys have? Any other thoughts? Would you buy a Strat with an unspecified crack in the neck heel, if it was priced right?
Don’t think I have owned a Strat that didn’t have one. As long as it’s in the lacquer / paint and not something that could become an issue.

FWIW I’ve seen brand new Fender’s hanging on the wall with small cracks at the heel
Ive seen some people wrenching on the necks of guitars trying to use it as some sort of vibrato. Makes me shudder. Im sure its gota be bad for the pocket and maybe the cause of said cracks. That and over tightening the neck screws maybe.
I have not seen many strats fall in half without enthusiastic encouragement, and if you've watched Live at El Mocambo you'll know they can tolerate quite a lot of enthuastic encouragement.
I might hassle an obnoxious inexperienced seller for a big discount if it came down to haggling, but only if they were an extreme example of Onanism.
I`ve had one happen in real time due to tightening the neck screws after removing the neck.
I remember, when I was a lad, it was pretty uncool to have the neck taken off the guitar for fretwork or other such fiddling. at least that what the guy who used to fix my bass told me.
only my Ibanez has a neck/body join crack.
robthemac wrote:Thoughts on this one? Guitar is otherwise cheap and looks legit. Neck crack looks like it's a big one.

https://trademe.nz/marketplace/music-in ... 2342713811

Seems like another common lacquer crack, albeit a decent one. That kind of heel on a Strat can be a bit divisive though
I don't think that's especially cheap with a gigbag. I sold a nicer example for less with a case, and I've seen others around the $1400 mark.
Timoes wrote:Ive seen some people wrenching on the necks of guitars trying to use it as some sort of vibrato. Makes me shudder. Im sure its gota be bad for the pocket and maybe the cause of said cracks. That and over tightening the neck screws maybe.

Haha. Neck vibrato is something I do all the time and all my guitars are set neck so it's possibly even worse :zomg: