All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY jvpp
#832253
Ceramic magnets and button magnets at https://www.magnets.co.nz/. I use neodymium and ceramic bars.
Couldn't find any suitable wire in NZ so bought quite a bit of 42 & 43 AWG from the USA. I got it from a supplier that charged way less than Stewmac.

I don't know what 'flatwork' is... perhaps you can clarity?
BY NippleWrestler
#832290
jvpp wrote:Ceramic magnets and button magnets at https://www.magnets.co.nz/. I use neodymium and ceramic bars.
Couldn't find any suitable wire in NZ so bought quite a bit of 42 & 43 AWG from the USA. I got it from a supplier that charged way less than Stewmac.

I don't know what 'flatwork' is... perhaps you can clarity?


They don't sell rod magnets suitable for single coils. At least nothing suitable on their website, and their prices suck. This is looking like a Tone Kraft order waiting to happen.
BY NippleWrestler
#832294
jeremyb wrote:Copper wire is cheap on AliExpress, just need to convert the awg to mm.


Good call. It's $30 USD vs $55 for the same length and probably the same stuff if it's actually 100% copper. Do you have any personal experience with any of the wire from AliExpress?

All in it looks like $100 for the materials to make 3 single coils. That doesn't seem too crazy.
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#832306
NippleWrestler wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Copper wire is cheap on AliExpress, just need to convert the awg to mm.


Good call. It's $30 USD vs $55 for the same length and probably the same stuff if it's actually 100% copper. Do you have any personal experience with any of the wire from AliExpress?

All in it looks like $100 for the materials to make 3 single coils. That doesn't seem too crazy.


I have bought some to make a sustainer pickup, but haven't started yet so can't confirm our deny :(
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#832401
NippleWrestler wrote:Well if you ever want to shift it I'll give you what you paid for it.


It wouldn't be any use to you, it's way thicker than normal pickup wire :)
User avatar
BY jvpp
#832413
NippleWrestler wrote:First place I looked. Useless since nothing is in stock and the kits aren't worth it.


I bought 1 pound of 42awg and 1 pound of 43awg from Remington for half the price of what NZ Guitar Parts sells it for. That is 4x cheaper!
BY NippleWrestler
#832425
jvpp wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:First place I looked. Useless since nothing is in stock and the kits aren't worth it.


I bought 1 pound of 42awg and 1 pound of 43awg from Remington for half the price of what NZ Guitar Parts sells it for. That is 4x cheaper!


Nice. How're the shipping charges?
User avatar
BY GrantB
#832445
NippleWrestler wrote:First place I looked. Useless since nothing is in stock and the kits aren't worth it.

Yeah, I don’t know what’s going on there....weird.
User avatar
BY jvpp
#832490
NippleWrestler wrote:
jvpp wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:First place I looked. Useless since nothing is in stock and the kits aren't worth it.


I bought 1 pound of 42awg and 1 pound of 43awg from Remington for half the price of what NZ Guitar Parts sells it for. That is 4x cheaper!


Nice. How're the shipping charges?


Ha, shipping was more expensive than each roll of wire :(
However, 20Km of wire should be good for 20 single coils or 10 hbs or so.

Description Quantity
Price
Amount

1 x Magnet Wire, 43 AWG, Red, 1. 0 Lbs, 66092' Length
1 $27.17 USD
$27.17 USD

1 x Magnet Wire, 42 AWG, Red, 1. 0 Lbs, 51313' Length
1 $25.56 USD
$25.56 USD
Subtotal
$52.73 USD
Shipping $33.25 USD
Total $85.98 USD