Help me with HSS Project

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Help me with HSS Project

Post by Slowy »

Getting to know the G&L. Its special trick is a low radius fretboard with huge frets; she just wants to cry and sing. (Remember: my reference point is a well worn, built off the original 1954 templates, 40th anniversary Fender.

So: plays different and plays great.
Sounds exactly like a strat should but it's sterile and bland (compared to the 54). Sounds like a PRS in coil split mode. Fuck! Did I say that out loud?
The pups do take to the dirty stuff though, so in that direction, they're really good

It has a swimming pool, I can get another pickguard, going HSS might be a way to trick myself into forgetting I never seem to get along with humbuggers. And this guitar would suit a big voice.

So; what could possibly go wrong?
Tonally, I'm a wannabe Knopfler .

So what would you suggest??
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: Help me with HSS Project

Post by jeremyb »

Mini hum in the bridge!! I think strats sound really good with them, neck pickup is where the real joy is on a strat, but a mini hum in the bridge will bring out some different flavours :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

I find this guitar really inspiring!

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/det ... 1p_01.html

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

jeremyb wrote:I find this guitar really inspiring!

Tim da boi's guitar! One of my fav bands

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Texas specials middle and neck, paf 36 at the bridge with a series/parallel and maybe a coil tap if you’re that way inclined. I can’t see that being an incapable or dissatisfying combination.
Last edited by Single coil on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

It's the pickups. My old g&l legacy was exactly the same story - I swapped them out and was happier ever since. My Jap Fender Strat has g&l legacy pickups in it now and they are as you describe.

My favourite Strat pickup set for vintage tones is the Seymour Duncan SSL1 set. Absolutely flippin' fantastic Strat tones. Probably going to put some in the Jap Strat.

My new favourite mod for strats is an an active preamp. Mine comes as a switch. The volume and first time knob act as master vol/tone. The third tone knob will boost bass, cut treble, or add a slight boost depending where you set it. I recommend this mod, because those 2 and 4 positions with the bass boosted sound get you a gorgeous creamy lead tone.

Try it if you want!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Dimarzio Virtual Vintage?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

jvpp wrote:Dimarzio Virtual Vintage?
Did nothing for me. Everybody will have their favorite but for me it's the CS69 set. Mind, that's not what Slowy's going for I think.

Give us a reference tone, Slowy. Just so we can argue about how it'd be achieved. :-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:
jvpp wrote:Dimarzio Virtual Vintage?
Did nothing for me. Everybody will have their favorite but for me it's the CS69 set. Mind, that's not what Slowy's going for I think.

Give us a reference tone, Slowy. Just so we can argue about how it'd be achieved. :-)
As I said, Knopfler. My 54 has virtual vintage pups. Suits that guitar which I’d describe as ‘light and airy’.

Looking for a bigger voice here but for me, that’s still on the mild side of the track. A bit of mid boost from a Klon clone, a touch of hair from Timmy and I’m good to go.

Because I pick with my fingers, I like to ride the edge of breakup line and vary my picking attack accordingly.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

I'm eventually gonna put a set on emg vintage singles in my Tele.
For a big sound but still that strat vibe, these could be worth investigating..
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/emg-sv- ... right.html

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy - before you go to the extent of getting another pickguard - can you beg/borrow/steal a few single coil sized pickups and see how they sound. If you're happy with one of them, go with that - and if you're not - consider getting the new pickguard and putting a full sized humbucker pickup in.

Another thought - If you're going humbucker in the bridge - you're going to want it to go well with the other two single coils in the guitar. Matching up humbuckers with single coils can sometimes be a bit of a pain. So you could decide what is more improtant - the two single coils or the bridge humbucker - and then match up from there?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3481 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Single coil wrote:Texas specials middle and neck, paf 36 at the bridge with a series/parallel and maybe a coil tap if you’re that way inclined. I can’t see that being an incapable or dissatisfying combination.
I have one of the early Lonestar Strats from the 90s which is currently SSS but eventually going back to stock. The Pearly Gates Plus from the stock setup is one of my all time favourite PAFs, I really miss it in that guitar. Just sings beautifully, with gorgeous vintage harmonics. Don't think much of Texas Specials anymore, but they have 'that sound' if it's your thing. 2c

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Cdog wrote:
Single coil wrote:Texas specials middle and neck, paf 36 at the bridge with a series/parallel and maybe a coil tap if you’re that way inclined. I can’t see that being an incapable or dissatisfying combination.
I have one of the early Lonestar Strats from the 90s which is currently SSS but eventually going back to stock. The Pearly Gates Plus from the stock setup is one of my all time favourite PAFs, I really miss it in that guitar. Just sings beautifully, with gorgeous vintage harmonics. Don't think much of Texas Specials anymore, but they have 'that sound' if it's your thing. 2c
I had Texas Specials for a couple of years. They didn't do much for me then but I'm definitely not looking for the same sound I was back then.
A Pearly Gates might be interesting, I'm fond of the odd pinched harmonic. :D

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Keep the ideas coming folks. Oleg will be back soon and then he'll tell me what I want. I'll probably disagree with him but he will patiently inform me I'm wrong.

And as usual, he'll be right. :rofl:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:I find this guitar really inspiring!

So: Do Ibanez have the best non Fender headstock? :thumbup:

But: Block inlays. Don't like them. They look big and clumsy and jarring on what is a very nice looking instrument.
Don't like blocks on Fenders either.