Firebird Studio ?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Firebird Studio ?

Post by Dharmajester »

I've been offered a Gibson 2013 Firebird Studio ( minihums ) in a trade. I'm guessing the neck won't be my favoured baseball bat style. Any idea of value anyone?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: Firebird Studio ?

Post by GrantB »

I had one for a while years ago. It was indeed hugely necked! I’m not sure if they’re all the same however.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Surprisingly respectable size as it happens and also sounds rather tasty. Thought it was due to be moved sharpish but I think I'm going to enjoy it for a while first.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Pic?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Satin type thin finish as per cheaper Sg's etc

Hunter S. Thompson

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... &archive=1

I can't see the pic - but is it anything like this one that sold? does that help with gauging a price at all?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

AiRdAd wrote:https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... &archive=1

I can't see the pic - but is it anything like this one that sold? does that help with gauging a price at all?
Yeap that was mine, gutted I got so low for it but well that's what the market says about its value unfortunately

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Probably between $1-1.1k? That's what i managed for the Studio firebird i had a while back and it was not as nice as the one pictured.

The thing with the firebird studios is that they usually have standard set neck constuction, not the neck through style that is associated with the standard models. So you're probably missing out on some of the mojo if you're thinking of keeping it?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

KNNZ wrote:

Yeap that was mine, gutted I got so low for it but well that's what the market says about its value unfortunately
Wow that went far too low in the price department. Mine is a cheaper studio model but I'd still be looking at over 1k for it.
Have to say I really don't hold with the market decides stance. We're so used to hearing it from Realtors that it's become an NZ norm. Shouldn't be, it's laziness. They wont take responsibility for putting a price on something and want the opportunity to grab some easy commision in a slow market.
A guitar has an intrinsic value. Maybe there's no one actively seeking a particular model at the time of listing but unless circustances are driving you to a fast sale I advocate patience and sticking to a fair price.
Hunter S. Thompson

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Mattallica wrote:Probably between $1-1.1k? That's what i managed for the Studio firebird i had a while back and it was not as nice as the one pictured.

The thing with the firebird studios is that they usually have standard set neck constuction, not the neck through style that is associated with the standard models. So you're probably missing out on some of the mojo if you're thinking of keeping it?
Yeah I've owned vintage Firebirds way back in the 70's. I don't think these newer models have much in common other than the appearance but I'm finding this to be emminently playable and with typical Gibson tone, dash of LP, dash of SG and a bit of the original Firebirds.
Hunter S. Thompson

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

KNNZ wrote:

Wow.. that went low. Little gutted as I was building up to asking if still available, and selling some stuff to make room.