MIM Fender QA consistency

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

MIM Fender QA consistency

Post by codedog »

I have only ever owned 2 Fender MIM, a Standard and a Player. I don't know if the Standard has had fret work done but they were great. Sliding up and down the neck was just fine. The Player, however, is a bit rough. If I can be bothered I may wander into a Rockshop and check out other Player strats. I realise cheaper options and brands may reduce costs through less strict QA but I haven't played enough brand new MIM strats to know if that's the case here. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

OTOH... it's quite relaxing sitting in the garden dressing fret ends...

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: MIM Fender QA consistency

Post by kwhelan »

I preferred the classic vibe squire of all the ones I tried in shop, it seemed to have rolled edges and better finishing, just had that played in feeling altho there was a lot of lacquer
codedog wrote:I have only ever owned 2 Fender MIM, a Standard and a Player. I don't know if the Standard has had fret work done but they were great. Sliding up and down the neck was just fine. The Player, however, is a bit rough. If I can be bothered I may wander into a Rockshop and check out other Player strats. I realise cheaper options and brands may reduce costs through less strict QA but I haven't played enough brand new MIM strats to know if that's the case here. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

OTOH... it's quite relaxing sitting in the garden dressing fret ends...

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: MIM Fender QA consistency

Post by JustMatt »

Back in the day I handled a lot of MIM Strats and always found it really depended on the model.

The RI strats always tended to be much better finished than a standard for example, though I have never had the opportunity to play a Player.

To be safe, I would often buy Strats from some of the larger second hand guitar dealers in the US. They tended to do a lot of 'finishing' in terms of fret work, setups and any other cosmetic work that needed doing, so you ended up with something much cheaper, and much better than new.