What's the Custom Shop Difference?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Re: What's the Custom Shop Difference?

Post by robthemac »

I've only played twenty or so Fender Custom Shop models, so not a wealth of experience, but I think they are a lot more consistent than the standard models. I'm not a huge fan of Fender quality control, and think that only about 30% of their recent American-made guitars are actually any good. There are a lot of very average instruments that they sell for substantial sums of money. This issue isn't unique to Fender, if anything I think Gibson are worse.

Fender Custom Shop models, however, are more consistent. The vast majority have been excellent guitars. I can only think of a handful of dogs that I've played, although each bad guitar from the Custom Shop feels like more of a crime given the price.

There was a Custom Classic strat that came through the Rockshop in about 2009. Plain black and rosewood, relatively reasonably priced at about $3800. That guitar was hands down the finest Fender instrument I have ever played. If I ever see it again, I'm not letting it out of my sight.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

robthemac wrote: There was a Custom Classic strat that came through the Rockshop in about 2009. Plain black and rosewood, relatively reasonably priced at about $3800. That guitar was hands down the finest Fender instrument I have ever played. If I ever see it again, I'm not letting it out of my sight.
HA! I remember that guitar very well as.....well.....I bought it.

You're darn right that it was an exceptional guitar. I never should have "past participle of get" rid of it!

EDIT: I just realised that it's the very guitar I'm playing in my profile avatar :lol:
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

I remember you effectively tearing it from my hands. If you ever want to sell it, let me know. Every strat I have touched since has been a disappointment.

Hope all is well!
Robbie McPherson
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.