Relicing

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Relicing

Post by Danger Mouse »

BMW-KTM wrote:I hope relicing catches on in other areas of life.
I'd love it if my old POS car had a sudden increase in value.
I imagine the increased value on mine would be truly impressive since all the wear and tear is actually genuine and in no way contrived.
Then I could sell it for much more money to someone who wants to look cool and it would be easier for me to buy a brand new car so I can keep my current social status and stay in the not-cool category.
It's already a thing, but generally referred to as patina.

However, it's the same as the guitar world, a 1980's Vester isn't suddenly going to become more valuable because it looks road worn, nor would a similar vintage Corolla after being patina'd.

http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhoo ... aux-patina
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

BMW-KTM
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by BMW-KTM »

Deleted
Last edited by BMW-KTM on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

BMW-KTM wrote:I think you've all missed my point but that's OK, I won't press the matter.
I just got here.
There's plenty of time for me to get my sorry butt kicked out of here for speaking the truth.
I get what you are meaning - One example could be relic-ed clothes - eg jeans washed out to look worn.

On a side note - here's a car wrapped to look old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-QRNiXBr90
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

That 'relic' wrapped car looks cool AF. I'd totally have that over a regular paint job.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I’m surprised that relic’d amps haven’t yet become a thing

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Slowy wrote:
BMW-KTM wrote:I hope relicing catches on in other areas of life.
I'd love it if my old POS car had a sudden increase in value.
I imagine the increased value on mine would be truly impressive since all the wear and tear is actually genuine and in no way contrived.
Then I could sell it for much more money to someone who wants to look cool and it would be easier for me to buy a brand new car so I can keep my current social status and stay in the not-cool category.
I have a 20 year old Hilux with half a million kms on the clock.
To me, it's an old car that works too well to waste money replacing. To my son and his friends, it's the coolest thing on the road.
Who am I to argue?
I have one of them too. 24 years old. Flies through a WOF every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I’m surprised that relic’d amps haven’t yet become a thing
Speaking for myself, relicing a guitar isn't primarily about looks, it's tactile. The subtle rounding of the fretboard edges, the frictionless feel of a naked neck. That's what's important.

I honestly don't know if thin Nitro finishes, abraded away in places actually sound better than a quality Poly finish. I wish I had a definitive answer to that. I like the look of a reliced body but its primary function to me is to remove the horror of the first ding. My Duesenberg is flawless. Because of that, I'm never as comfortable playing it as I am my old Strat.

For the reasons above, I don't have any opinions about relicing amps. They only get touched to move them.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I don't particularly have much fondness for newer guitars. However having said that I recently took a punt on a 2018 Tokai LP. Turned up all 'new-looking' with shiny chrome everywhere, within an hour I had restrung it and replaced all of the 'metalware' with aged equivalents

Finally, putting on a pair of genuinely old and used pickup covers to me is all that was needed to take the 'newness' off this guitar, I can add the rest by relentlessly playing it. Seems I don't actually need the myriad of scratches, dings and the oh-so-obvious areas where sweat has eroded the finish away :thumbup:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Few years ago, I met a Billy Gibbons Les Paul in the Rockshop. Les Pauls often have this super glossy, 'wet' finish that puts me off. The Gibbons was a soft, polished satin. It glowed. It was beautiful and it took my breath away. I've never seen a lovelier Les Paul.

Being Gibson of course, they rewarded themselves for knocking off the shine with a $16,000 pricetag.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I come from Patea. The locals there relic their houses. I'm not that keen on it, but everyone to their own.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

crowbgood1 wrote:I come from Patea. The locals there relic their houses. I'm not that keen on it, but everyone to their own.
He's alive!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

BMW-KTM wrote:I think you've all missed my point but that's OK, I won't press the matter.
I just got here.
There's plenty of time for me to get my sorry butt kicked out of here for speaking the truth.
Missed points and random off topic conversations are part what make this forum great, just don't be offended by it and you'll fit in fine.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

AiRdAd wrote:
crowbgood1 wrote:I come from Patea. The locals there relic their houses. I'm not that keen on it, but everyone to their own.
He's alive!!! :-)
Sleeper :shh:
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I’m surprised that relic’d amps haven’t yet become a thing
Oh but they have
https://reverb.com/item/2855427-fender- ... ed-edition

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

twangnsnarl wrote:
Oh but they have
https://reverb.com/item/2855427-fender- ... ed-edition
Wow. Would be a lot better without those ugly stickers