R9 GAS

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Re: R9 GAS

Post by GrantB »

Polar Bear wrote:So Grant, that does indeed look killer. What are the main differences construction wise to your current one? Does this one have the ‘custom buckers’, or is there a new secret sauce that they’ve gone with?
Indeed it has Custom Buckers. I have zero experience with these but everyone raves. I guess we'll find out.

The construction differences to mine are mainly inlays, glue, truss, routes, finish, dyes, logo placement, neck profile and top carve etc etc. The top is better. My current one sounds amazing, so it's a bit of a risk I guess. If it doesn't work out I can always resell it here in NZ and lose 30% of the price.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

GrantB wrote:Indeed it has Custom Buckers. I have zero experience with these but everyone raves. I guess we'll find out.
I tried a friend's CC R0 (CC#18 I think?) which has these in it. I think these are slightly better (clearer?) than the Burstbuckers but not leagues above or anything. I'd still replace it with Bareknuckles personally.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

godgrinder wrote:
GrantB wrote:Indeed it has Custom Buckers. I have zero experience with these but everyone raves. I guess we'll find out.
I tried a friend's CC R0 (CC#18 I think?) which has these in it. I think these are slightly better (clearer?) than the Burstbuckers but not leagues above or anything. I'd still replace it with Bareknuckles personally.
I have a feeling that's where it will end.

Oh well, I have purchased it. In the mail thread soon. I'll show more quame.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

GrantB wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:So Grant, that does indeed look killer. What are the main differences construction wise to your current one? Does this one have the ‘custom buckers’, or is there a new secret sauce that they’ve gone with?
Indeed it has Custom Buckers. I have zero experience with these but everyone raves. I guess we'll find out.

The construction differences to mine are mainly inlays, glue, truss, routes, finish, dyes, logo placement, neck profile and top carve etc etc. The top is better. My current one sounds amazing, so it's a bit of a risk I guess. If it doesn't work out I can always resell it here in NZ and lose 30% of the price.
I’ve played two guitars with Custom Buckers. One R9 and one 335. They worked better in the R9, and are maybe close to the original thing, but they definitely didn’t have as much character as other PAF style pickups readily available. Let’s be honest, the pickups are going to go in the bin anyway, right?! :)
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Polar Bear wrote:
GrantB wrote:

I’ve played two guitars with Custom Buckers. One R9 and one 335. They worked better in the R9, and are maybe close to the original thing, but they definitely didn’t have as much character as other PAF style pickups readily available. Let’s be honest, the pickups are going to go in the bin anyway, right?! :)
I'm prepared to give them a fair shot before ditching them. The readings at 7.7K are very vintage and that's cool, but I like my modern LP's to be a bit hotter. My original PAFs are 8.5K/8.3K ....all over the shop. So, tone test first, and maybe our last wedding gig if it arrives in time, then bin.

I am/was quite excited but the falling exchange rate has quelled that.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

So, this is a US$6.5k starts-with-a-“G” Gibson that you expect to probably just throw the pickups away...

And I’m the one who’s crazy for wanting Avatar cosplay hookers?!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Conway wrote: And I’m the one who’s crazy for wanting Avatar cosplay hookers?!
No sounds great to me!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Well such is life when you have discerning tastes and your criteria for purchasing a guitars isn't

A) Is it blue?
B) Is it expensive?
C) Does the name begin with any of the other 25 letters?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Conway wrote:So, this is a US$6.5k starts-with-a-“G” Gibson that you expect to probably just throw the pickups away...

All the PRS pickups I've tried were shit too...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

It's a beautiful guitar Grant and I look forward to hearing about it when it arrives.
Not that any of my stuff is in the same calibre but sometimes, whether you have another one or not, just looking at, hanging out with, and enjoying a guitars presence (preferably with a libation of choice) is more then enough and will forever justify the decision to purchase.
Not to quote the hot Japanese chick on tv but if it gives you joy then fuck yeah.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Conway wrote:So, this is a US$6.5k starts-with-a-“G” Gibson that you expect to probably just throw the pickups away...

Meanwhile, others lay in wait for the day when Grant cleans out his pickup drawer, forgets which guitar he pulled them out of and lists them here for bugger all so that we can put them into our $300 guitars.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

el byrdo wrote:I fail to see why you'd buy something that is exactly the same as what you already have, but that's just me.

If I had your arsenal of gibsons, I'd be going for jags, weird vintage pieces etc.
I hear you, but....LOOK AT IT!!!!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7736 times
Been liked: 4180 times

Post by jeremyb »

Grant has yet another opportunity for people to comment how beautiful his wood is, let the man bathe in that for a while!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote:
el byrdo wrote:I fail to see why you'd buy something that is exactly the same as what you already have, but that's just me.

If I had your arsenal of gibsons, I'd be going for jags, weird vintage pieces etc.
I hear you, but....LOOK AT IT!!!!
yeah, looks a bit fur coat and no knickers to me....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote: yeah, looks a bit fur coat and no knickers to me....
You're talking my language!!!