NGD's- Gibson Haul

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chrisbower
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 29 times

NGD's- Gibson Haul

Post by chrisbower »

My guitar collection has taken a massive U turn recently having sold most of my shredder type guitars in favour of more traditional ones.

As most of you have probably noticed on here, I've been after a Gibson Les Paul Custom for a while. It's been thee 'holy grail' guitar ever since I started playing guitar and seeing my teachers Black Beauty. Well, earlier this week I finally made it happen, but that wasn't without picking up another couple of Gibson's on the way.

#1 - Gibson SG Special 1971 Walnut

It was quite lucky how I stumbled upon this.. I was searching the NZ guitar groups on Facebook for Les Paul Customs. I noticed a guy had a 70's LPC for sale quite a few months back but I thought what the hell, I'll see if it's still available. It wasn't, however he asked me if I'd be interested in an early 70's SG Special. Damn right I would!

It's had a professional neck repair done back in 80's (confirmed by my local luthier as an excellent job), some binding pieced back together, original bridge swapped in favour of a hardtail (preferable for me), schaller tuners added, and the fretboard was as dry as the Sahara, but... it looked in great condition overall and had the original pickups, pots/electronics and the original case.

A whole load of fretdoctor, new strings and a setup later and it plays utterly awesome and sounds amazing! I wasn't sold on the comfort of an SG at first but I've quickly grown to love this guitar. It's the one I find myself reaching for the most.

#2 - Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cutaway Custom Shop 2006 TV White

I bought this locally from Dharmajester. At the time I had my 60's Tribute Les Paul and I went round to his place with it so I could get his thoughts on how it played (I was contemplating keeping it at the time). He always has nice guitars so I asked him what Gibson's he currently had. He brought out 2 Les Paul Special Custom Shop's, a red one and a white one. I tried the red one first, it was nice and all but the neck was way too chunky for me. Next came out the white one. Man was I in love with it before I'd even picked it up, It looked amazing! The neck was noticeably smaller than the red one and it played fantastic. I left that afternoon with the thing constantly on my mind.

Stephen had said the white one gave his hand a bit of trouble so I'd tried my luck to see if he'd sell it. I wasn't even in the market for a Special at this point, I was still all about the Les Paul Custom but I knew I just had to have this thing. After waiting patiently to see if he'd let it go, and staring at what seemed like every possible photo of this guitar on the internet, I went over to his again and it was mine.

#3 - Gibson Les Paul Custom 2001 Ebony Yamano

After searching for months for a nice example of a Les Paul Custom, this came to me on Thursday. Exhausting all avenues to try and find a Les Paul Custom, I had posted some wanted ad's about a month ago on the NZ guitar groups on Facebook. Nothing came about for weeks until I had a guy who worked in one of the Auckland Rockshop stores contact me saying he had a 2001 Les Paul Custom and in no better color than Ebony! I nervously waited for photos to check out it's condition and it turns out it was in fantastic condition all things considered. Some very minor marks and some buckle rash but nothing you could really complain about for an 18 year old guitar.

He was asking way too much for it initially but after a week of negotiating we landed on a figure we were both happy with and the deal was done. He had it sent down to the Dunedin Rockshop on Monday to arrive on Wednesday but I had to agonizingly wait until Thursday for it to get there. Headed over there Thursday afternoon and all the staff in there were more excited than me to open it up, It was quite funny actually. I spent the rest of Thursday cleaning and setting it up and oh my god, the feel, play ability and tone of this thing is just unreal.

Not having initially payed attention to what 'case candy' might have been in the case compartment, I had a look and found some Yamano Music Gibson manuals and other Japanese documents, as well as the silica gel pads in there that were in Japanese too. I contacted the guy I bought it from who hadn't advertised it as a Yamano (I'm not even sure he's aware what it is) and he put me in touch with the original owner as I wanted to confirm where exactly it had come from. He did confirm that he'd originally imported from Yamano Music in Japan. I'd heard of Gibson Yamano reputation so it all made sense as to why this guitar just feels so bloody good! I honestly don't think I could have found myself a better Les Paul Custom and the wait clearly paid off in the end. :)

Last edited by chrisbower on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: NGD's- Gibson Haul

Post by StratMatt »

Good God man, what a haul! I've eyed up that Double Cut before too, not that I ever had the money. Well done.
Loving it so far

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

That was more than worth the wait, serious haul there dude! HNGD!!
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

That Yamano looks awesome, glad your search paid off.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wow dude, what a haul!!! Love that white special!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

awesome haul and collection there now Chris!!! congrats!! love that white special as well!!

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Far out. That custom looks great.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

So, you got the SG from Warren!

Score.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Loving that SG....
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Looks like you got yourself a Gibson Les Haul.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Dude, you have turned to the light side :) They're awfully tricky to play though, maybe you should give them to me :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Well done that man! :thumbup:

So; two different but similar solidbodies with P90s. Talk us through the differences?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Nice haul. You always have one you gravitate towards. I think the Yamano thing is a bit like a Wildwood. Something a bit more whether finish or how it plays.

chrisbower
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by chrisbower »

GrantB wrote:So, you got the SG from Warren!

Score.
Small world eh. Was you eyeing it?
Bg wrote:Dude, you have turned to the light side :) They're awfully tricky to play though, maybe you should give them to me :D
I've grown to love the fight :)
Slowy wrote:Well done that man! :thumbup:

So; two different but similar solidbodies with P90s. Talk us through the differences?
The SG is a lot lighter and the neck is much thinner and narrower vs the heavier and thicker neck'ed Special. The Special has Duncan Antiquities in it that are hotter than the stock Gibson P90s in the SG. They feel extremely different but I love them both!