All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Zaulkin
#820903
Hey guys,

I was thinking last night about how often I seem to need certain guitar parts and I only ever buy one at a time. Shipping from guitarparts.co.nz is a bit more expensive now with the minimum order, so I figured I should start buying a few spares. I've actually been buying and recommending stuff from tonelounge (thanks Matt) because the free shipping makes life much easier, but they don't stock specific parts.

I always seem to need:
- Output jacks. For students and whatever guitar comes through. Luckily I bought a bag of 25 switchcraft ones ages back but I am getting low now.
- Threeway toggle switches and switch tips. For some reason so many people ask me for these! Oh and the tele barrel switch tips too.
- Pickguard screws. The number of times I've seen a guitar with rusty screws that I've been desperate to replace...
- Pots are an obvious one, so I might keep a few cheapies in the parts box from now on.

What part do you seem to always run out of and need to buy? Let's all stock up.
#820909
I’ve got a fuckload of used pots (mostly 500k linear) I’ll trade for some other shit.

Tend to need jacks; only “needed” a switch once or twice. Fortunately never needed a nut or a pickup!

Other than that, just strings really. Maybe a pick or two cuz despite my tendency to buy packs of 12 I can’t for the life of me work out where they all go :crazy:
#820914
pickup screws (humbucker) .. I have heaps but none of them seem to fit any of the pickups I have

Pickups in general, always seem to need more

Allen key for the floyds. I can never find the bugger when I need it so I ended up get a thing from mitre 10 that looks a bit like a pocket knife but has 6 different allen keys on it

new strings to put on a guitar once I have built it
#820938
Got a bag of 250 and 500 CTS pots, Switchcraft jacks, 5 way selectors and all that stuff. I seem to allways be looking for graphite nuts. Any one in NZ carry them ? Iain now being in Aus is just a little too long to wait and quickish freight is nearly cost prohibitive.
#820945
willow13 wrote:pickup screws (humbucker) .. I have heaps but none of them seem to fit any of the pickups I have

Pickups in general, always seem to need more

Allen key for the floyds. I can never find the bugger when I need it so I ended up get a thing from mitre 10 that looks a bit like a pocket knife but has 6 different allen keys on it

new strings to put on a guitar once I have built it


I had one of those pocket knife allen key things. Used it a few times and then a piece of allen key broke off and got stuck in the space. It was a pain in the ass to get out!
#820947
Zaulkin wrote:
I had one of those pocket knife allen key things. Used it a few times and then a piece of allen key broke off and got stuck in the space. It was a pain in the ass to get out!


yeah I can certainly see that happening at some point. Thankfully I hardly ever need to undo the nuts to tune and I almost never change strings so it should last a while :mrgreen:
#820950
willow13 wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:
I had one of those pocket knife allen key things. Used it a few times and then a piece of allen key broke off and got stuck in the space. It was a pain in the ass to get out!


yeah I can certainly see that happening at some point. Thankfully I hardly ever need to undo the nuts to tune and I almost never change strings so it should last a while :mrgreen:


Image
#820951
willow13 wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:
I had one of those pocket knife allen key things. Used it a few times and then a piece of allen key broke off and got stuck in the space. It was a pain in the ass to get out!


yeah I can certainly see that happening at some point. Thankfully I hardly ever need to undo the nuts to tune and I almost never change strings so it should last a while :mrgreen:


It was literally like the 3rd time I used it, still annoys me now.

So 6 years from now when you change your strings, be careful.