All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY GrantB
I haven't tried SS,but I think beeg has. If I recall right he said it wasn't a big deal to work with?
BY Bg
GrantB wrote:I haven't tried SS,but I think beeg has. If I recall right he said it wasn't a big deal to work with?

haha, it was a pita as it was over binding, ended up having to grind tangs off with the bench grinder. My cutters wouldn't do the job ;)
Without binding, just hard to cut - I need bigger cutters. Much prefer nickel to work with.
BY GrantB
Bg wrote:
GrantB wrote:I haven't tried SS,but I think beeg has. If I recall right he said it wasn't a big deal to work with?

haha, it was a pita as it was over binding, ended up having to grind tangs off with the bench grinder. My cutters wouldn't do the job ;)
Without binding, just hard to cut - I need bigger cutters. Much prefer nickel to work with.

That is one thing about those expensive pesky StewMac tools - they're often rated for SS. I wouldn't mind using SS but I can imagine every aspect being more difficult. I like rounding the ends of frets...with SS that would be hard work to get perfect.
BY Single coil
I had a chat to my career luthier a while ago re: stainless; he said [given you’ve got the right tools, it isn’t hard on them] but it’s real hard on your hands when you’re tryna cut it and so on. His rate for stainless is pretty reasonable too, really.
BY Single coil
Oh, wait. What??
Maybe that’s why I took chunks out me board lololol
#noob
#pleb
BY calling card
Did you have a look at those smoking frets? Ah and now I see why, yes splintering their way out, maybe sometimes not so.
I've got an old acoustic that frets are near falling out.
I imagine that heat would undo the glue, if glued.
BY MrDINO
Was talking to a guy whom I had sold a gat to. He was telling me he was proceeding to clean his strings with a cleaning solution when he saw smoke. One of the strings heated up so much it melted down through the nut...bizarre