11-49 on a strat?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

11-49 on a strat?

Post by Kiwiaxe »

As some slapper once said, “oops I did it again”

So I may have allegedly* ended up buying another Suhr Classic Antique (this time black SSS with ML pickups) while in Melbourne. Hypothetical pics to follow later this week.

Possibly the best playing strat I’ve come across. Which surprised me - because it’s running 11-49s. Which are beefier than I’ve played before on a strat. Still presented no problems even with 1.5 tone bends, and had a noticably more solid feel when it came to picking and vibrato.

Anyone else running 11-49 on a strat? I’ve been a 10-46 guy for as long as I can remember.

*in breach of wife’s currently imposed one-in, one-out policy

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Re: 11-49 on a strat?

Post by Zaulkin »

I use 11 - 49 but that's in drop C. Not too different in standard though.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Kiwiaxe wrote:
Anyone else running 11-49 on a strat? I’ve been a 10-46 guy for as long as I can remember.
Usually, yes though I recently went down to 10s for standard tuning. Only real issue with 11-49 or, sometimes 11-52, is that the G would ride high in the nut (not something I've the tools to attend to). Tonally it makes zero difference IMHO. Just a question of what feels good. Don't be a martyr to it. Use 8s or 9s if you like the feel of them. From May to Malmsteen, Billy Gibbons, Beck to BB King; can hardly say those blokes are lacking in tone.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Usually do. Just restrung mine with 10-46 because I had a set and the Telecaster appreciates the heavier bottom more.
Can't say it makes much difference to me but I'm a ham fisted oaf who played 13-56 on acoustics for 20 years. After that, all strings are light.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

1.5 tone bends with 11's... nice. I must be weak. I'll stick with 9's.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

It would make sense if it was a reverse headstock.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

My relic’d Strat has .011’s on it, my other Strat and the LP have .10’s. Gives me an excuse to play them all, also a good gauge to see where my finger strength is at. Plus the heavier strings go well with a Strat IMO.

I couldn’t play .009’s and I wouldn’t want to play anything heavier than .011’s so I think this gives me the best of both worlds.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

Slowy wrote:Usually do. Just restrung mine with 10-46 because I had a set and the Telecaster appreciates the heavier bottom more.
Can't say it makes much difference to me but I'm a ham fisted oaf who played 13-56 on acoustics for 20 years. After that, all strings are light.
I’m also an acoustic guy who went electric. So I prefer heavy strings. But now I’m out of practice so I go for 10s.
If I was gigging I might go lighter as I think my hands would die after a few hours on 10s or 11s!
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

11/50 on me tele, and that thing is tension central.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.