What are your clever backup solutions? + What gear to take to a gig?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: What are your clever backup solutions?

Post by StratMatt »

If my AX8 dies mid gig I'm up shit creek. I think a Fly Rig would probably be the best option for me, my only other amp is a Marshall stack so not exactly a convenient back up solution.
Loving it so far

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Although it wouldn't sound quite as good as my usual pedalboard and amp, I was playing the Tubeworks combo yesterday and realised I could do an entire gig plugged straight into it.

I have a toolbox with leads, tape, strings, fuses, tools, strap, picks capos, multi plugs and god-knows-what-else that goes wherever my rig goes.
2 guitars and I used to pack a ZT Lunchbox as backup but now use the Tubeworks.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:Although it wouldn't sound quite as good as my usual pedalboard and amp, I was playing the Tubeworks combo yesterday and realised I could do an entire gig plugged straight into it.

I have a toolbox with leads, tape, strings, fuses, tools, strap, picks capos, multi plugs and god-knows-what-else that goes wherever my rig goes.
2 guitars and I used to pack a ZT Lunchbox as backup but now use the Tubeworks.
When did you get a tubeworks? and pics :) is it a ratfur?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: When did you get a tubeworks? and pics :) is it a ratfur?
Got it a few weeks ago. On TM and went for less than the price of a half decent pedal. What was a man to do?
Complete with premium vintage ratfur.
IMG_2232.JPG
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:
Got it a few weeks ago. On TM and went for less than the price of a half decent pedal. What was a man to do?
IMG_2232.JPG
Damn, I used to have the head and matching 1x12, they're cracking amps. It was passed around here for awhile. Much regrets at selling. Bk Butler designed amp :)

That would be perfect in a fender style tweed cab.... just saying ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
IMG_2232.JPG
Damn, I used to have the head and matching 1x12, they're cracking amps. It was passed around here for awhile. Much regrets at selling. Bk Butler designed amp :)

That would be perfect in a fender style tweed cab.... just saying ;)
:think: Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... :think:
You make a good point.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Don't do it BG. Make him keep it like that! Hahaha
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I must say when I first read this thread title I immediately thought dropbox or google drive :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Two guitars; spare strings, cutter; spare amp being a Katana; one spare cable.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Zaulkin wrote:I am reasonably pedantic about making sure I have some kind of backup for gigs. So far I have never had a problem (apart from one time at one of my first gigs where I broke three strings in a freak single strum a few hours before playing...) but now I maintain my gear well so I've been lucky.

The main requirements for a backup for me are that it will work without sounding shit, wont be heavy or take up much space, and that I won't mind lending it if necessary. Also I try to keep the cost down on backups so that I'm not reaching to sell it for something else.

For cables, strings, etc, I just take an extra one for anything that I think may require it.

For guitars it is pretty simple - Just take two. I have a cheap entry level one that is cool and has it's place so I won't sell it in 2 weeks.

For amps, I recently picked up a cheap little pedal called a Donner Black Devil. It's got two channels including reverb, and it has cab sims that can be turned on and off. Sounds pretty sweet too, even if the reverb goes from 0 - 75% pretty quick. I could run this through a poweramp or through the PA if needed, which is handy. The only problem is that it does make a hum when it is on 0% volume (and obviously I'm sacrificing effects because there is no chorus/delay etc).

I'll do a Youtube review on it sometime soon...

What are your clever backup solutions if something stops working at a gig?
So glad I'm in a band with you for this reason :rofl:

Having moved to a Katana, the whole blown-tube thing is not a worry. I think it would have to take some serious work to mess one of these things up i.e. power overload or spillage. Absolutely worst case I can run my ME80 through the PA for amp sounds. I think a solid-state/digital amp is probably going to be the most robust part of any rig.

My pedalboard consists of an ME80 - hard to kill, as above. I don't think I've got any worries here, though I've got an old DS1 in my misc.gear bag that comes to most gigs.

I use a G10 wireless, which had just been replaced with a brand new one. I've eliminated issues with cable breaks on the power-cord by replacing the stock corn with a right-angled one, which eliminates targets to step on. As such, I only run a couple of cables - my main two being Monster cables that are going strong after 10 years. That being said, i carry a couple of spares.

My main risk is guitar issues in terms of string breakage. I'll always bring 2x to a gig, my current backup being a Squier John 5 Tele which is cheap enough to keep, but also good enough to not feel like i'm playing a dud if the PRS snaps a string. Imperative that that is at least one backup guitars for band as we play in Drop C and expect another band to allow us to detune a guitar in standard. That being said, I've not broken a string in about 6 years now.

Most of my backup solutions tend to come from prevention in the first place; changing strings in the week leading up to a gig, having extra leads/a spare multibox etc.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I overcook every gig where it is feasible to do so - multiple guitars, two amps, spare everythings. Where it isn't, I usually resort to a head and the torpedo live in the car so i can fall back on direct to the board and still have a great sound. Something like a Quilter or a flyrig would definitely get the job done (I have a bass flyrig I use as plan B when I'm on the thicker strings), just haven't needed to be that mobile yet. I imagine if I were having to fly somewhere for a gig etc it would make an awful lot of sense.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Yodelling.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Re: What are your clever backup solutions for gear? + What to bring?

Post by Zaulkin »

Alright, here is my checklist so far. Had to play in Christchurch recently which made me think of this thread - that was a different ballgame though.

Is there anything you guys can add to this? I have tried to keep my spares to what fits in a small case and what I will realistically use.

Gear Checklist for Gigs

Things to do before the gig:
-Remind venue and other bands about playing times...
-Test pedalboard, amp, guitar, check strings and setup
-Print setlists
-Charge wireless unit

Guitar case:
(Keep anything I need to grab quickly here)
-Guitar
-Strap
-Picks
-Speaker cable for amp head
-Guitar cable
-Microphone
-XLR cable

Pedalboard case:
-Pedalboard
-IEC Power cable
-Humbuster or guitar cable to connect to amp
-Backup cable to grab if wireless fails
-Picks

Mic stand bag:
-Mic stand
-Multi Guitar Stand

Amp head case:
-Amp head
-Channel switch

Amp Cabinet

Trolley:
-Bungy cords

Other:
-Wallet, phone, keys, cash, parking card…
-Backup guitar
-Banner
-Band merch, business cards
-Picks for coin pocket

Case of spare stuff:
-Clip on tuner
-Strings
-Strap
-Pens & vivid marker
-Paper
-Power distributor
-Extension leads
-Multitool (pliers, cutter, knife etc)
-Allen keys
-Torch
-Tubes
-Cloth
-2x Guitar cables
-2x IEC Cables
-XLR cable spare
-Speaker cable
-AUX cable
-Connectors and adapters (1/4 inch – headphone etc)
-Patch cable
-9v battery
-9v Power adapter
-Ear plugs
-Tape
-Zip ties
-Picks
-Fuses
-First aid - Plasters?
-Contact details

Might need for other gigs:
-Other instruments
-Laptop / Ipad
-Capo/Slide
-Thumb picks
-More AUX or connector Cables
-Backing tracks
-Music stand
-Music folder

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

The ear plugs are for the audience members. :D

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: What are your clever backup solutions? + What gear to take to a gig?

Post by StratMatt »

Looks pretty comprehensive to me! More than what I take lol. Have you forgone the Axe Fx for an amp setup these days?
Loving it so far