All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY codedog
#816320
So... the world's most popular ginger crooner now has a new line of guitars by one of our favourite acoustic luthiers. What're everyone's initial impressions on this?
User avatar
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
#816321
I am shrugging my shoulders
User avatar
BY codedog
#816323
That's pretty much what I did to his Martins. I'm not even interested in the Wee Lowden. This one piqued my interest because... well... Lowden... and the line includes the S series too, albeit with laminate back and sides.
User avatar
BY olegmcnoleg
#816328
News to me, but Ed has done a lot for the sales of those small Martins. Can’t imagine the Lowdens will be as affordable though...

The smaller Lowdens are remarkable guitars, especially the all mahogany S guitar. 4000 quid for a new one though. :(
User avatar
BY codedog
#816331
olegmcnoleg wrote:News to me, but Ed has done a lot for the sales of those small Martins. Can’t imagine the Lowdens will be as affordable though...

The smaller Lowdens are remarkable guitars, especially the all mahogany S guitar. 4000 quid for a new one though. :(


I pretty much stalk Lowden on FB and Instagram. This has been mentioned heaps in those places, along with YouTube. The Sheeran line will include the W and S series. The S series is my dream guitar, my idea of a great balance between portability and performance.

I gather than it was a meeting of chance. One of Ed's mates asked Lowden to build him a wee guitar, like his Martin. That's how the Wee Lowden was born, followed by the W series. I imagine they struck up a mutually beneficial relationship from there.
BY kwhelan
#816332
thinking about it i'm not quite sure why I don't even like him, he seems pretty humble and unaffected by fame, if that's even remotely possible anyway, his songs don't do it for me but I can see their appeal to the masses especially women. hes not even a heartthrob poser looker. I can listen to jack Johnson all day and wonder if he'd have been as famous as Ed whether that would have changed. Its weird how some people fly and others don't and they're not that dissimilar.
I don't read all the gossip stuff but James Blunt seems well hated and again I have no idea why, again not my music but from what Ive seen of him in interviews hes hardly a twat like mayer
BY null_pointer
#816333
Even Mayer isn’t the twat he was. But it would be a major uphill battle for him to change the perceptions he built on bad behaviour 10-15 years ago now.
Sheeran has got where he is on talent, because it sure wasn’t on looks or a sparkling stage presence...more power to him I say.
User avatar
BY Molly
#816338
I've no idea how that kind of wealth and adulation would affect me so I never feel able to criticise others when 'newspaper reports' hint at someone becoming a bit of a twat. From the little I've read ES is a nice guy. Bought his guitar tech an Aston Martin. Or was it someone else on his payroll? It was mentioned on his Top Gear 'Star in reasonably priced car' interview.

His music's not for me but the wife and daughter went to see him in Dunedin and like tens of thousands of others they had a great time.
User avatar
BY Conway
#816341
Somebody's got to make that soppy, middle of the road crap that the Sheilas like. Ed does it well enough.
User avatar
BY olegmcnoleg
#816369
Molly wrote:I've no idea how that kind of wealth and adulation would affect me so I never feel able to criticise others when 'newspaper reports' hint at someone becoming a bit of a twat. From the little I've read ES is a nice guy. Bought his guitar tech an Aston Martin. Or was it someone else on his payroll? It was mentioned on his Top Gear 'Star in reasonably priced car' interview.

His music's not for me but the wife and daughter went to see him in Dunedin and like tens of thousands of others they had a great time.


Regardless of the appeal of the persona, I think he is a good songwriter and fingerstyle guitarist. But if you want something in that vein that is a bit less, um, hyped, and a bit more raw and genuine, try this fella:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_Jz5XnzO8&index=4&list=PLysAOHtKAtD5g2vvcB7ghFlPYULqq1mo5[/youtube]

He does a great version of teardrop too...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU8sd8uNBxY&index=2&list=PLysAOHtKAtD5g2vvcB7ghFlPYULqq1mo5[/youtube]

Newton Faulkner. He's still a ginge, mind! He is a phenomenal acoustic player, specialising in that rhythmic acoustic tapping that scares the shit out of me. He does it all live too, no overdubs or loops.
User avatar
BY codedog
#816373
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Molly wrote:I've no idea how that kind of wealth and adulation would affect me so I never feel able to criticise others when 'newspaper reports' hint at someone becoming a bit of a twat. From the little I've read ES is a nice guy. Bought his guitar tech an Aston Martin. Or was it someone else on his payroll? It was mentioned on his Top Gear 'Star in reasonably priced car' interview.

His music's not for me but the wife and daughter went to see him in Dunedin and like tens of thousands of others they had a great time.


Regardless of the appeal of the persona, I think he is a good songwriter and fingerstyle guitarist. But if you want something in that vein that is a bit less, um, hyped, and a bit more raw and genuine, try this fella:



He does a great version of teardrop too...



Newton Faulkner. He's still a ginge, mind! He is a phenomenal acoustic player, specialising in that rhythmic acoustic tapping that scares the shit out of me. He does it all live too, no overdubs or loops.
User avatar
BY Danger Mouse
#816385
Someone once asked me what I thought of Linkin Park, to which I replied they were just a shitty nu metal boy band with formulaic pop songs just wrapped up with heavy guitars to make them seem metal.

He then asked if I would join them, if I was given the opportunity to do so, to that I replied "in a fucking heartbeat". I'd be more than happy to sell out, if it meant that kind of success.

Ed's music is painfully bland, but if it gets him the success he has, bloody good on him.
User avatar
BY willow13
#816398
the reality is the guy has done more to put guitar (if you can call an acoustic a guitar :evil: ) on the map for kids and teens than anyone else in that last decade..not sure if that is good for music listening but anything that gets kids playing must be a good thing.