All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY slash-ed
Got a SSS Strat for the first time in years and I realised that all my experience of tone chasing and tweaking is very centred around humbucker guitars. I haven't got that much of a clue how to dial in a Strat.

So... Enlighten me!

What's a quintessential Strat setup in your experience?

Tell me about amp and effects pairings, EQ settings (vs humbucker) and whatever tips you've got!
BY Bg
sss strat and tweed amp = clean perfection.
alnico all the way through the chain.
Any good valve amp, tone & volume rolled back to around 8 on the Strat
BY TmcB
Some shit old giant Fender and a twat hat/headband

Or if you're cool a dimed AC30.

I have helped
BY Slowy
Borrow any unmolested Blackface Fender. Plug straight in. You may or may not like what you hear but try and tell me it’s not pure alchemy.

I use vintage low gain pups. Bridge lead requirements are served brilliantly with a Hermida Zendrive.
For everything else l like Klon flavour. Fond of the Archer but I think you’d prefer the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe. (More gain on tap.)
BY slash-ed
Slowy wrote:Borrow any unmolested Blackface Fender. Plug straight in. You may or may not like what you hear but try and tell me it’s not pure alchemy.

I use vintage low gain pups. Bridge lead requirements are served brilliantly with a Hermida Zendrive.
For everything else l like Klon flavour. Fond of the Archer but I think you’d prefer the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe. (More gain on tap.)

So - Bright channel/switch or Normal? For clean I'm liking things with Bright on but then it gets a bit ugly in the high end once you put a drive in front. How do I get around this?