Any Hofner experts here? And does anyone have these (or similar) tuners?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Any Hofner experts here? And does anyone have these (or similar) tuners?

Post by Zaulkin »

Hey guys,

Does anyone here know much about old Hofner hollowbody guitars?

I'm pretty sure this is a Hofner 457 or 456, but it would be interesting to know what year it might be - Seems as though Hofner made small tweaks to the design as they went. The 'Hofner' logo on the body is below the bridge instead of to the left of the neck joint which seems to be more common with the 457. The seller says the top is spruce which it probably is, but it does have a plain maple look to it. Hard to tell from a photo though.

Does anyone happen to have the treble side (or a set) of these old tuners in their parts box? It looks as though the bass side is original. I believe these tuners were on different brands of guitars at the time too. Interestingly while searching online, I noticed other Hofners which had one side of the tuning pegs replaced. Did they fail often? Probably cheaper to replace one side than both. Bummer that the pickguard has been drilled and there is no hard case, ah well.

Thanks in advance :) inb4 "smelly old guitar" etc.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Any Hofner experts here? And does anyone have these (or similar) tuners?

Post by Bg »

At a guess, Kiwi/Laurie is our best aficionado at smelly stuff of this ilk.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Unfortunately not Hofners, mainly the USA department store guitars Harmony, Silvertone etc. If you can't find these tuners Stewmac stock really decent replacements called Golden Age Restoration Tuners. I have used them on several Harmony guitars and they drop straight in, no drilling required.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... aGOLDENAGE

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

k1w1 wrote:Unfortunately not Hofners, mainly the USA department store guitars Harmony, Silvertone etc. If you can't find these tuners Stewmac stock really decent replacements called Golden Age Restoration Tuners. I have used them on several Harmony guitars and they drop straight in, no drilling required.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... aGOLDENAGE
All good! Thanks, I'll keep those tuners in mind. :)