All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Slowy
Attachment-1(1).jpeg

Since this was a consensus build, I'm asking for insight/opinions/suggestions.

This is a nice instrument; it plays well but I have an issue with the pickups. There are 4 sounds available, the two blended tones are nice, but neither pup alone inspires me. They are both immensely powerful and I have had to lower them extremely to cut down on the low end. That said, Conway likes them and he is a much more tasteful player than he gives himself credit for.

The absolute deal breaker is that there is nothing going on here that my other guitars don't already offer.

So, have considered:
Gold Foils from Lollar. Interesting idea but hugely spendy.
Routing it out and fitting either Humbuckers or Jazzmasters. No going back.
P90s. I have a guitar with a single Lollar P90. By my standards, it's ferocious. Looked at Bareknuckle Blues 90s yesterday and they seemed promising at a reasonable price.

What say you?
BY jeremyb
Slowy wrote:Routing it out and fitting either Humbuckers or Jazzmasters. No going back.

This is what I'd do, and given it has a pickguard it doesn't really matter as you won't change anything people can see :thumbup:
BY Slowy
Mattallica wrote:What about some mini humbuckers?

My first thought. But they are smaller than the current pups. Probably look messy.
BY Slowy
jeremyb wrote:
Slowy wrote:Routing it out and fitting either Humbuckers or Jazzmasters. No going back.

This is what I'd do, and given it has a pickguard it doesn't really matter as you won't change anything people can see :thumbup:

So... humbuggies or jizzmeisters? And why?
BY Molly
Esquire it with an unpotted and slightly microphonic low output something. Make it do one thing really well. Make it a guitar you just need to ride the volume on.

:-)
BY AiRdAd
What pickups are in there now Slowy?
BY jeremyb
Slowy wrote:
jeremyb wrote:

So... humbuggies or jizzmeisters? And why?

Humbuckers, mainly because you can get all sorts of pickup types in a humbucker sized package :)
BY Single coil
P90s.
Nothing that requires routing.
Haven’t heard anything good about foils that isn’t nostalgic rose tinted wank (originals were microphonic and awful etc).

Dimarzio make a huge range of p90 size HBs - perhaps one of those at the bridge.
BY KNNZ
Lollar low wind P90 in neck and lollar humbucker in the bridge (my no.1 guitar pickup config)
BY Slowy
Molly wrote:Esquire it with an unpotted and slightly microphonic low output something. Make it do one thing really well. Make it a guitar you just need to ride the volume on.

:-)

That's my single P90 PRS.
BY Slowy
AiRdAd wrote:What pickups are in there now Slowy?

A pair of Adrian's handwounds.
BY Slowy
KNNZ wrote:Lollar low wind P90 in neck and lollar humbucker in the bridge (my no.1 guitar pickup config)

Ooh.. like! Which version of the Imperial do you have in the bridge?
BY KNNZ
Slowy wrote:
KNNZ wrote:Lollar low wind P90 in neck and lollar humbucker in the bridge (my no.1 guitar pickup config)

Ooh.. like! Which version of the Imperial do you have in the bridge?

oops sorry forgot to specify I have lollar El Rayo humbucker in the bridge :D