PRS Consistency

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: PRS Consistency

Post by mrmofo »

Molly wrote:
Conway wrote:
Basket Case wrote:
What's special about the 24 fretters?
Nothing much - the neck pickup is a few millimetres closer to the bridge, making it slightly less bassy, as you'd expect. The 24 fretters also tend to be spec'ed with hotter pickups. Which is why I prefer the 22 fret models.
And, a bit like an SG, it might mess with your muscle memory.

I'm not buying the 24 sound better than 22 stuff by the way. IMHO that sounds like something you might read on a forum. ;-)
the 24 fretters are hot rods, 22 fretters are more of an EV.

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/22vs24.htm
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/2 ... s-24.7196/
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

22 or 24, the build quality will be faultless, the setup will be great and the guitar will be very stable to changes in heat/humidity. In my experience with PRS, it's just a question of getting the pickups you like. For me, that's their lower-winding models. I know people tend to be quite divided on the aesthetic of PRS, and the loud finishes. But that aside (which I can understand) they are comfortable, light, stay in tune, easy to play, versatile and super stable and reliable.

For that, I'll put up with a bit of flame and some flappy avians. :-)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

mrmofo wrote:
Molly wrote:
Conway wrote: Nothing much - the neck pickup is a few millimetres closer to the bridge, making it slightly less bassy, as you'd expect. The 24 fretters also tend to be spec'ed with hotter pickups. Which is why I prefer the 22 fret models.

I'm not buying the 24 sound better than 22 stuff by the way. IMHO that sounds like something you might read on a forum. ;-)

I can really only speak from experience.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

Molly wrote:
mrmofo wrote:
Molly wrote:

I can really only speak from experience.
no more proof than Ed Roman. he believes what he says and will back it with a similar looking model made in his back room, for less.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote:22 or 24, the build quality will be faultless, the setup will be great and the guitar will be very stable to changes in heat/humidity. In my experience with PRS, it's just a question of getting the pickups you like. For me, that's their lower-winding models. I know people tend to be quite divided on the aesthetic of PRS, and the loud finishes. But that aside (which I can understand) they are comfortable, light, stay in tune, easy to play, versatile and super stable and reliable.

For that, I'll put up with a bit of flame and some flappy avians. :-)
What you mean is the flame and birds are just the icing on the cake!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

The two SE models I have had were very well set up right out of the box! I can only assume the higher end models are even better?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

mrmofo wrote: no more proof than Ed Roman. he believes what he says and will back it with a similar looking model made in his back room, for less.
I think we dissect this stuff too much. There are so many variables.

If I were offering advice to a potential PRS buyer I'd just say buy the one that feels right. You'd be unlikely to notice a tonal difference you couldn't tweak. And don't expect a $7k guitar to be any more inspiring than a $1k guitar. There's really not much by way of correlation. Buy it because it makes you feel good or because you're listening with your eyes and you just want it. That's fair enough.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

Molly wrote:
mrmofo wrote: no more proof than Ed Roman. he believes what he says and will back it with a similar looking model made in his back room, for less.

If I were offering advice to a potential PRS buyer I'd just say buy the one that feels right. You'd be unlikely to notice a tonal difference you couldn't tweak. And don't expect a $7k guitar to be any more inspiring than a $1k guitar. There's really not much by way of correlation. Buy it because it makes you feel good or because you're listening with your eyes and you just want it. That's fair enough.
true.
I only offered the advice I have learned from the guitars I`ve had.
I`ve owned six 22 fret PRS guitars in the last 20 years. I`ve sold all of them, after a while the thrill was gone. I now have a 24 fret model and cant believe the tonal difference.
after I heard that standard 24 I knew something was up with the 22freters.
so when I hear a person say "they look good but sound vanilla" I feel like I know what they are talking about and blame the 22 fretters for the bad name PRS have with some players.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

mrmofo wrote:
Molly wrote:

true.
I`ve owned six 22 fret PRS guitars in the last 20 years. I`ve sold all of them, after a while the thrill was gone. I now have a 24 fret model and cant believe the tonal difference.
so when I hear a person say "they look good but sound vanilla" I feel like I know what they are talking about and blame the 22 fretters for the bad name PRS have with some players.
Fair enough. Just that within those 22/24 options there are scale length variables and other aspects too. I didn't get on with my C24 because it just didn't feel as comfortable as the 408 I had at the time. If I were shopping for a new PRS today I'd likely look at a Paul's Guitar; especially given the new wiring. But it's really unlikely I'll ever find myself standing in Rockshop counting-out $7k. Christ, I'd lose sleep over that. I'll just settle for trying the various options that pop up on TM from time to time. Most recent was a 594. I'd really like to give the SC version of that a go. :thumbup:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote:Just that within those 22/24 options there are scale length variables and other aspects too
Indeed. I wasn't that comfortable with the 24.5" scale Santana with 24 frets. Pickups make a big difference too - as I've already mentioned, the 24 fret models often have hotter pickups.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

yea, for sure but the scale length is different on the 594. hard for me to judge, I`ve not played a PRS with a Gibson scale length, if so, then 22 frets would be fine.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

Conway wrote:
Molly wrote:Just that within those 22/24 options there are scale length variables and other aspects too
Indeed. I wasn't that comfortable with the 24.5" scale Santana with 24 frets. Pickups make a big difference too - as I've already mentioned, the 24 fret models often have hotter pickups.
like one of those Les Paul Double Cuts.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

mrmofo wrote:
Molly wrote:

true.
Having extra length in your hand makes any man feel better.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Anyone had experience with the 408? Thoughts?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Basket Case wrote:Anyone had experience with the 408? Thoughts?
Yes, a core 408 and my Private Stock is a slightly modified 408. My favourite model. The coil split system which brings in extra windings in the single coil mode is genius. :thumbup: