All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY SimonHirst
#805813
I've been thinking about this since I first saw the great thread title and, embarrassingly, I'm just not sure. Most of the guitars I would like are probably well within the realm of reasonable prices... A really nice old Gibson, or Gretsch from the 60's would be cool. If I had to name one though it would probably be an old Gibson J-45 from the early 60's, or perhaps a pre CBS Strat.
The main thing I'd be after is the feeling that it had some good songs in it!
Please don't swing the ban hammer on me for such a lame answer Beeg....haha!
User avatar
BY AiRdAd
#805817
A guitar that I'd love to own would be one of Jimi Hendrix's ones. I think one of his old girlfriends has got one of his old guitars, and know one else has touched it since he last did - that's pretty cool.
User avatar
BY Reg18
#805821
Defiantly something from the 50s, an original Nocaster or 50s LP, not to fussy, Gold Top, Black Beauty or burst would all do the trick.
User avatar
BY Molly
#805830
SimonHirst wrote:The main thing I'd be after is the feeling that it had some good songs in it!
Please don't swing the ban hammer on me for such a lame answer Beeg....haha!


That's a good answer! I've heard some players say that of their guitars.
User avatar
BY jvpp
#805831
Aquila Rossa wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:... what guitar would you buy? Image


I also like stuff with the word 'super' in the name. Super Reverb, Superlead, and even Supro. .


Gretsch Superaxe
Yamaha Superaxe
User avatar
BY Slowy
#805840
Money no object huh?

Right:

Starting with acoustics, I'd scour the world for well played, preferably 15+ years old examples from Lowden, Olson, McPherson, Manzer and Martin. Some newer pieces from PRS, Santa Cruz, Collings, Taylor and Froggy Bottom.

With Electrics, I'd become Molly and pile through shedloads of them, filtering out the ones that stuck.

The vintage pieces would be chosen either for being amazing or having interesting provenance and a cool story.

Then there's the building to hold this Aladdin's treasure........
User avatar
BY Molly
#805841
Slowy wrote:
With Electrics, I'd become Molly and pile through shedloads of them, selling the ones that stuck, then buying them back again.


Fixed. :-)
User avatar
BY Aquila Rossa
#805893
AiRdAd wrote:A guitar that I'd love to own would be one of Jimi Hendrix's ones. I think one of his old girlfriends has got one of his old guitars, and know one else has touched it since he last did - that's pretty cool.


He was not just a prolific guitar player. He had lots of girlfriends. Maybe there are lots ex's out there with stuff of his. One of them even has a plaster cast of Jimi's knob that the most dedicated fans might after :D
User avatar
BY SimonHirst
#805957
Molly wrote:
SimonHirst wrote:The main thing I'd be after is the feeling that it had some good songs in it!
Please don't swing the ban hammer on me for such a lame answer Beeg....haha!


That's a good answer! I've heard some players say that of their guitars.


Ha, pheeew! :wink: Yeah, I remember Krist N and Dave G from Nirvana saying that whenever they saw a lefty they'd just buy it for Kurt because whenever he got a new guitar he'd write like crazy.
It's certainly the thing I think about most when purchasing any gear.
Will it inspire me?!
a) Yes. Buy.
b) No. Don't.
c) if I answered b, then remedy it by finding a bit of gear with which the answer will be a. :thumbup:
User avatar
BY philly
#805960
Aquila Rossa wrote:He had lots of girlfriends. Maybe there are lots ex's out there with stuff of his. One of them even has a plaster cast of Jimi's knob that the most dedicated fans might after :D


i wonder if its a volume or one of the tones
User avatar
BY Bg
#805965
Yeah, not much gas here anymore. I have fender tweed, I have marshallish quad, and I have helix frfr.
Guitars don't make me drool anymore - though maybe a good ibanez with a floyd, thats what I'm missing but even then not that bovvered.