All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

#803521
Spykerwolf wrote:
Molly wrote:He obviously didn't test it prior to handing it back to you.


Nah I tested it when I picked it up, but I didn't abuse the whammy bar as the locking nuts weren't locked yet.
He said because he put new strings on I needed to stretch them first, and then lock the nut.



Which is correct. Are they fully broken in?
#803529
StratMatt wrote:
Spykerwolf wrote:
Molly wrote:He obviously didn't test it prior to handing it back to you.


Nah I tested it when I picked it up, but I didn't abuse the whammy bar as the locking nuts weren't locked yet.
He said because he put new strings on I needed to stretch them first, and then lock the nut.


Which is correct. Are they fully broken in?


Was going to say, that's not unreasonable. Maybe put a fresh set of your usual strings on there and stretch them in to your liking. I always preferred two springs with a Floyd (gauge of string permitting) arranged at an angle from the outside holes in the trem block to the second and fourth hooks on the claw.
#803535
Spykerwolf wrote:
Single coil wrote:That’s pretty rude


I know man :( I was a bit shocked that the locking nuts weren't locked, and that I had to do it myself (not that I mind, but if you pay for a service you expect a service lol). He told me how much it would cost (when I spoke this morning), so he's definitely not doing anything for free. I'll see how I get on and then I'll take it to North Shore Guitar Repairs instead.


He quoted you a price for stretching the strings on top of the setup cost?

That's nuts.
#803547
Spykerwolf wrote:
Molly wrote:He obviously didn't test it prior to handing it back to you.


Nah I tested it when I picked it up, but I didn't abuse the whammy bar as the locking nuts weren't locked yet.
He said because he put new strings on I needed to stretch them first, and then lock the nut.


Stretching the strings on a FR guitar is a 10 sec job and not something you'd need to leave it unlocked to do, any half decent lutheir would know this.

I suspect he in fact does know this.
#803560
yep dodgy as fuck. Stretching the strings is the easiest thing in the world to do and needs to done to intonate the guitar.

when you say the guitar isn't returning to pitch do all the strings go a little flat and when you pull up on the bar they go back to pitch? if yes then that can be the "knife" edge of the trem at the posts or the springs not at the right tension in the back, those are the most common issues
#803569
I have heard of repair shops not wanting to leave guitars with tension on the strings if they are going to be shipped somewhere, but not this. Adrian or Glynn had Floyd guitars set up and ready to play for me when they have done work on them. They must not find the two minutes it takes to stretch strings to be too much work. Seems bizarre that this guy would do this, but if he said that is why he did not tighten them, then that's what it is.

Different guitar techs have different strengths. Adrian is refinishing. Does some amazing work. Glynn is structural stuff like head stock repairs and problems with struts on acoustics etc. I have had quite a few guitars go to him for refrets or levelling etc. Dentist prices but he does a good job and it hurts just a little bit less. G-Spot is supposed to be a very good all rounder who can do repairs, fret work and refinishing well, but i have no experience of them.

I do my own setups, but if i need other work done then i will ask for a full setup to be done that i can judge my own by. Setups are a simple thing, but I am still learning new things three decades on. The latest thing is the one wrap over, one and a half or more under way of winding string on. it works great at keeping string in tune once they have bedded in after stretching. Don't need locking tuners. A Les Paul and none of the G string tuning issues i have never had, but I read about so often. I do not understand why PRS and Fender owners etc are always complaining about it being such a problem.