Completely stuffed the paint job on my Telecaster, but maybe I should leave it that way?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Completely stuffed the paint job on my Telecaster, but maybe I should leave it that way?

Post by jeremyb »

That looks mega! Happy accident for sure!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

imarco
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Completely stuffed the paint job on my Telecaster, but maybe I should leave it that way?

Post by imarco »

I love it

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

If I'd any idea it could've looked that good I'd have kept it. Was a great sounding guitar. Now looks bloody cool too.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Dibs!!!!!!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Looks f'in excellent Reg. Love it.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

To quote Frank Zappa,
Shut up and play yer guitar.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Slowy wrote:To quote Frank Zappa,
Shut up and play yer guitar.
That’s what I’m currently doing! And it’s bliss....

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Really like it!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

10/10, would play in many shitty bars with a cigarette shoved in between the nut and strings. Looks killer.

imarco
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by imarco »

This is sooo inspiring!!! Tutorials?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

imarco wrote:This is sooo inspiring!!! Tutorials?
Sure, here’s my 10 step guide to finishing a guitar.
1-Buy black lacquer paint from Spray Store
2-don’t clean your spray gun properly leaving bits of old lacquer flakes in the system somewhere.
3-proceed to spray your first coat of paint and wonder why there are bits of crap all through your finish
4-sand back with 240grit sand paper hoping to flatten out all blemishes
5-realise you haven’t really got all the bits out but assume 2-3 more coats might help fill it out
6-after 2-3 coats and sanding in between realise you have completely f#*ked it and will have to sand it all off and start from scratch
7-start sanding your guitar until it is back to Matt finish and break for dinner because the kids are starting to yell at you for dinner
8-after said dinner break look at the large job ahead of sanding back and think “I might just assemble it and see how it looks, maybe play if for a while like that because I can’t be arsed starting over again right now”
9-start scrapping off binding tape with knife blade and sanding....more sanding!
10-look at size of job ahead and look at currently cool looking reliced job and decide to post pic to forum to get peoples vote!

That’s my 10 step process to finishing a guitar.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

This guitar mocks my obscenely expesive CS Tele.

I'd Autosol the gold off the pickups, mind.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

If Conway doesn't like it you will have to redo it!
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Molly wrote:This guitar mocks my obscenely expesive CS Tele.

I'd Autosol the gold off the pickups, mind.
Thought about doing the pickups but I’m
Still hoping for a set of TV Jones Classics. Resale value on a set of pickups that have been reliced could be perceived as just bad condition making them worth way less!

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

One thing I will say for it is, looking at your binding in the photos (which is a little hard to see) you may need a little smoothing and rounding with some sand paper and then some clear. Remember that bound teles were taped off on the binding for the burst or colour coats but then locked into the finish with the clear coats.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.